Changes to the official Unreal Engine Wiki

actually using google cache here to still be able to see the page, but please, get the wiki back up again… Thanks

Guys whyyy. I’m in the middle of writing my thesis and this wiki reference was the only one I found about a specific topic. I’m new to UE so I was relying on this info being here. Why just straight up disable it? I have to hand in my thesis soon I can’t really wait for the new wiki or whatever to be written. T_T

You still can use this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200329203322/https://wiki.unrealengine.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Put it in a wiki maybe?

I feel like Epic likes closing community options. The UE4 Docs are not good maintained as well.

That’s completely uneffective. The Wiki was one of the only official reliable sources of the engine.

Disable the Wiki when your documentation will be good, period.

For now, half of the official documentation is completely useless or non exploitable due to the non presence of code example.

Make the Wiki back

Edit : You can use the internet archive to get it also Epic Wiki

It was a difficult reading, especially because the several typos in your OP. My OCD is very strong and not only have felt compelled to mention the typos, but i was actually obsessed with highlight them out for you. Please, understand my difficulties and just review my screenshot then quickly update your post accordingly, because the community always deserves clear explanations from the supporting team. I will be following you everywhere, in order to help you improve on your skills. You can always count on me!

That’s some effort! :'DDD
Although you forgot to change the comment on the bottom, to something like “avesome new ,epic is BEST !”

UE4 documentation is very poor and not friendly you just break the main learning systhem.
Smart way would have been to make a duplication in official hub and AFTER close the wiki.
I hope they will make the wiki in read only state soon.

Another move that makes small devs without paid custom license, without any tech support, wonder if Epic is actively trying to get rid of us.

What happened to “Epic’s goal is simply to help UE4 developers succeed because when you succeed, we succeed” from 2015?

That lasted until 2017 :smiley:

As other people have already said, the wiki contained valuable information that wasn’t available anywhere else! This is really puzzling… We should maybe rely on a cached version that should be available somewhere

Out of all of the posts, so far this is the most comprehensive rebuild effort: Introduction - UE4: Guidebook

That’s a very unfortunate decision :frowning: Very hard to understand from a community/customer pov, and very badly managed all the way.
As said in a post above, it’s really puzzling .
Edit: a big thanks to all of those who are reviving the content!

I kind of hoped this is an April Fool’s joke, but the post started a couple of days ago. :frowning:

I’m honestly disappointed because the Wiki did pick up the slack where Unreal’s blogs, documentation and forums lacked. Even some forum posts pointed to items in the Wiki. I still don’t understand why it had to be disabled before it can be fully incorporated into the documentation. There were a lot of advanced C++ subject matters that the Wiki explained very well. I hope all of that can be placed into the documentation because the Engine is a beast and these wiki posts helped a lot.

Thanks for being open and straightforward about this, and I think a redirect was a great way to get the word out. Sounds like it’s probably been causing you folks a lot of stress!

Looking forward to hear when/if there’s anything we, the community, can do to help.

You mean like write all the documentation for Epic and put it in a wiki? Oh wait…

Joining the other to rant on this move as well. Putting it down for any reasons is fine, it was read-only for a while after all.

What I’m angry about is the lack or warning. I really don’t understand how this could have been decided without thinking about a backup in mind in the first place. I’m sure you have metrics that shows how often the wiki was read. I’m surprised even you guys thought about making a post to mention it was being taken down. At this point why not wait for people to discover after the fact ? /sarcasm

Seriously, this is silly and disappointing (and I’m choosing to stay polite here).

I also really don’t like your thinking regarding this:

Why do you end-up deciding what will be put up or made available instead of just everything ?
Sure there are some things outdated or maybe even wrong, that doesn’t mean they don’t have some relevant knowledge. The engine is still a blackbox for many and it’s time consuming to learn its patterns. Community articles at least provide some good overview/understanding even if they are now outdated.

Thinking everything “interesting” should move to the documentation is also a wrong way to reason about it in my opinion (based on my own professional experience as a documentation writer). Some article were good guides or even in-depth tutorials which I don’t see translating well in the documentation. On this point the official documentation as always been very messy with articles on similar subjects put everywhere and hard to track back (and the current navigation doesn’t help either).

Anyway, bad move from you guys. I hope you will learn from it and I hope it’s not just a reflect of a “don’t care” attitude you have internally. (The broken login system that is a low priority is another example of that attitude.)

If I had to mention a few articles/pages I was still using often, those are:

This is ludicrous… There is no justification nor necessity to do this. I am currently struggling to integrate Steam’s online multiplayer, and was relying on the wiki. Then, all of a sudden, just pooof.
No useful documentation, and removing the community built documentation that actually is helpful. Now I am starting to see why Unity’s community is booming in my country and Unreal’s not.

The rama tutorials and plenty other guides were very important and useful for c++! now they are gone. Please navigate them to somewhere else. Now finding how to do a lot of c++ stuff is gonna be a huge pain, since it’s a desert out there in that information.