Change Parent Material of Multiple Material Instances at Once

That’s good to know, but knowing Unreal I would have expected something similar :sweat_smile:

Probably, there’s a way to automatically close windows of instances before doing the replace but I didn’t think about that when I posted it (because it was a simple script made to help the OP).

It’s always better to close editor windows when you are renaming/moving/replacing stuff (and don’t forget to use “Fix Up Redirectors” after moving files, especially if they have references and you’re using source control)

1 Like

Hey there Ares9323,

Don’t get me wrong, I love your plugin, I just posted my conclusion because it might be helpful to someone here.

Personally, your plugin has helped me more than you know and I don’t really care about having to remove the asset before reparenting.

Take care!

1 Like

Also found solution for this- firstly reparent material to “None”, and then update, and set material instance parent. It will dump temp files.

1 Like

Stumbled upon this and looks like it’s the perfect solution for me, but I don’t have the Scripted Actions menu showing up even after I load the plugin and restart. How to get that line to appear?

Thanks!

Hey, just wanted to add my thanks to @Ares9323 for making this handy plugin available for free.

I wanted to show a tiny change just in case it is helpful for anybody. I had been looking for a way to bulk edit physical materials since these do not transfer from parent material.
It is easy to adjust Ares’s utility to do that:
just adjust the code like this and it works

@hugo.jackson
double check that you added the UPLUGIN file to your plugins folder in the project (outside of content folder) and then restart unreal.

1 Like