Certificates, Do i need them?

Maths is helpful, but for the kind of programming/blueprints you do with Unreal Engine (which is Gameplay programming mostly), you can do a lot with just a few basic math functions…my top ones :

Vector

• Normalise
  • Cross Product
  • Dot Product
  • Multiply * float
    Integer Division
    Modulus
    Quaternions

Once you know where and when to use those methods you’ve got a very solid foundation. I wouldn’t sweat Quaternions too much, I have no frickin idea how that hoodoo works, I just know it does work :wink:

yeah good luck tryna drill those terms and how they work and all that into my head, maths goes way over my head

That’s my point, you don’t need to know how they work, you just need to know what they do, which is quite simple.

If you think that understanding those terms is never going to achievable (which is patently wrong), then you will never get anywhere making games.

Then you’re probably not cut out for making games. Games require math and there is no way around that.

Then you’re probably not cut out for making games. Games require math and there is no way around that.
[/QUOTE]

Daww, i dreamed of making a realy revoloutionary game

Graphics so advanced every single atom is rendered, every dew drop is rendered, everything is 1:1 with reality(the 3d models, rigs, environments, etc) It had elements opf most of the games i really enjoy, The sandbox of Minecraft, the Amazing First Person Perspective of Call Of Duty, and every single weapon ever made in as much detail as possible(that includes the parts inside the guns that make the guns work) the awesome Family and house building aspects of The Sims games, the ability to extort buisnesses(like in the Godfather game) the ability to go wild(like in Mafia, GTA and Saints Row) like i am not kidding when i say this, like a game that is litteraly like Real life in EVERY SINGLE WAY, if you wanna go fight isis, you can go fight isis, wanna be a suicide bomber, you could be a suicide bomber, like in more ways than you know that is what comes to my mind when i first heard of VR, i thought it would be litteraly applied (VIRTUAL REALITY as in it is a Virtual.Version of the Reality we live in, not A pathetic excuse)

[/QUOTE]

That might be a little bit exaggerated, he definitely won’t be able to do the programming-side but there’s also the artistic-side. He sure can’t be a solo developer though. :stuck_out_tongue:

@IDGam3r If you’re really serious about making games, then you should probably try to form a team or join one. Find something you enjoy doing and focus on that, it might be level-design, 3d-modeling, or programming like in my case (blueprints are a pleasure to work with though) :stuck_out_tongue:

Like others have already pointed out, you can then offset where you’re weak by bartering your skills with people who love programming and math. You have to start somewhere though and the advice of everyone is spot on in my opinion.

Well to be honest i seem to do a lil level editing(i seem to fiddle with Doom levels, and i seem to take an interest in making levels for other games)however admitedly my own skill in level design is quite primitive(used to using a top down, linedef based level editing system found in DoomED and other Doom Level Editing Programs) so like making levels for something like Call Of Duty or ARK: Survival Evolved, or other modern games i don’t have much knowledge on(would be nice to increase that knowledge tho, however i still got a lot to learn about making Doom Levels so perhaps i should stick to learning how to make really good doom levels before i touch on better level making)

Ain’t got a single certificate to my name :wink:

Well there is no better investment you can make for yourself than taking responsibility for you own education. If the question is will certification, degree, or diploma give you an advantage then a more direct answer would be yes and/or no maybe depends.

Certifications are cool as they are reasonable as far as costs goes but the ones that I have now, more than a few years old, only reminds me as to how out of date I am as to current information that is relevant. The vicious cycle of certification is they need to be updated every few years to remain relevant and any thing older, like the ones I have, no longer have the same street credit as they had on day one.

That said where these devices can get you ahead is people. They give you the opportunity to get involved with the like minded so you can network, get linked in,become involved by learning first hand what matters and having your best friend working at Epic will do more for you than a 100k degree. If you have to go some place to get it then it’s worth it just to get out from behind he monitor and more so if it’s something that your really interested in and not something you think you need to get ahead.