Can't find Xcode install for Metal compiler

You probably need a "" in Samsung USB ( "/Volumes/Samsung\ USB/Xcode.app/"etc… )

Hi, sorry but I’m waiting for the same answer. Unable to install because of the error code: Can’t Find Xcode Install For Metal Compiler in MacOS, once I click on the error message it closes and stops the installation. Any answer/help would be very greatly appreciated. Many thanks

I first backed all up and then upgraded to Mac version 11.4.
After that, I reinstalled Xcode and Run Terminal and ran:
sudo Xcode -select -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer.
It works somehow now, but installing Xcode took forever and both programs take up the majority of my computer’s disk space. 4 + 4GB of memory is not enough for bigger projects, but I can get to practice.

Thank you so much for sharing this. And this actually works for me.

Hi,

I received this error also. … But I was damned sure I had a validated Xcode installation.

In my case, I had a simple issue. my Xcode.app was named with a version number (Xcode-10.2.app).

Renaming without the version number solved my problem :slight_smile:

Ok - seems everyone here is a coder. I’m just an artist (really a writer) wanting to try this out. What is the solution for a non-techy?

I’ll need a walk-through. Spent a lot of time freeing up space all day to make room for this. Looks like a great program, but when you can’t even start it up, it’s getting discouraging.

1 Like

Ok, never mind. Seems this is only for new Macs with Big Sur. I’m on Mojave & way too broke to spend $3k++++ on a new computer right now, not to mention all the old software I have to run that won’t work on Big Sur. Oh well. Hating Apple right now.

Same problem, anyone have an answer?

Make sure xcode is in the applications folder for the command to work. Is looking for Xcode.app inside the Applications folder.

sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

Make sure xcode is in the applications folder, otherwise the command won’t work. Mine was in my downloads and that’s why is what not working.

sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

1 Like

Thank you, human. This worked for me.

Thanks!. This worked for me.

Worked for me!

Thaks, it works

The same problem, does anyone has an answer? Where can I find Xcode app to install it?

Hi Maxim,
Where can I find Xcode app to install it?

Thank you!!

No need… I had the same issue. Found the answer from another user. We have to download the excat XCode that works for us and download it by ourselves in the link bellow.

But first, you must upgrade your macOS to at least Catalina (That’s a requirement to run Unreal Engine 4.27 and above). Check on your “About this Mac” at the Apple icon at the upper left, if your Mac has the requirements to use Catalina. Also, I saw it’s better to download the first release, and then upgrade to the latest update after.
I downloaded mine here:

MacOS 10.15.7 requires Xcode 12.4, you can find that here: Sign In - Apple

MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina requires Xcode 12.4, you can find that here: Sign In - Apple

There, you’ll scroll really down till you see:
XCode 12.4 - January 27, 2021
Click on “VIew Details” and then XCode 12.4.xip file with 10.86GB

Once you download it, click on it to extract. Then, move the extracted app to your Applications folder.
Then, open the App to Agree with the License, and follow any further instructions that pops up.

1 Like

Was the same problem! Thanks for help

This did’t work for me. UE4 was working just fine until I tried to integrate with GitHub, then all of a sudden Xcode is missing. Uninstalled and reinstalled and it’s still missing.

Thank u!