Camera/Player follows spline in 1st Person

Apparently there were also 2 splines components in the same actor so I deleted one and reconnected the nodes in the SpectatorBP. Its working perfectly although its starting from the end of the spline I guess I could just move the points one by one into the other side (I suppose there is no easy reverse of order in the point-list)

I thank you a lot for your patience and help! You have no idea how happy I am :slight_smile:

If I wanted to toggle between the Spectator and my original character… is it easily set? (i dont want to push you too much, Im just curious)

Thanks a lot Mosel3y!

That’s good :slight_smile: No problem.

Yeah, I get that too, it’s probably best to confirm which side is the end before spending too long positioning everything Although, if you get the distance at the last point, and use that as your default value for Distant Along Spline and replace the plus node with a minus node, it would mean you don’t have to rearrange the spline, but it’s probably best just to fix the spline…

Well I’m not sure exactly how you’d want that to work, but if you’ve got two pawns, yeah it is possible to un-posses your current pawn and posses another. It can be a bit finicky though

Yeah, I just moved the points around… no biggie :slight_smile: I just did the tour with the Rift on and the “character (spectator)” doesnt rotate along the spline, so Im always looking at one direction of the level, any idea how i can make the Spectator rotate in the direction of the Spline?

thanks in advanced

You can set the rotation to match the spline directly, but that overrides the head tracking on the rift which is fairly disorientating for the user. So you have to do it more like below:

Add a camera component to your spline, replace the Set Actor Location with a Set Actor Location and Rotation. Then set the camera’s rotation to be the combined of pawn rotation and control rotation (head tracking, in a way). This allows the user to control what they look at while also being influenced by the spline’s direction.

If you want to force it, just use the set actor location and rotation node, and a set control rotation node, but i wouldn’t recommend that.

Hi, yeah the thing is that I would rather have the people think/feel they are sitting in a rollercoaster, so their chest always marks where the “way” is going instead of the monitor (which they are not using) marking the front… When the spline turns they they have to turn their whole body around by spinning their chair around, which might be worse than the other option. Im going to try what you said, hopefully i dont break the logic :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help!

Ps: Is there anyway I can mark you as the answer-provider to this situation or I cant?

You were right, somehow the theory doesnt apply in reality… I feel weird when the spline makes sudden changes in direction o.O and I think it somewhat messes up with the rift as well, near objects dont seem to align with my two eyes anymore :confused: but thanks for the help anyway!

Thanks a lot,i’v solved a similar problem with the solution. Happy a lot, Thanks again.