C#, Roslyn and Licencing

jCoder; I don’t think I’ll be building for iOS or Android (Or, I currently have no plans to) but I may look into that when I have the capital to justify it, Thank you for the suggestion

Would you suggest using Mono on all 3 platforms (PC, Mac, Linux) or using the Microsoft CLR on Windows and building Mono into the Mac and Linux builds only?

[QUOTE=;82353
Would you suggest using Mono on all 3 platforms (PC, Mac, Linux) or using the Microsoft CLR on Windows and building Mono into the Mac and Linux builds only?[/QUOTE]

For simplicity, I’d would start with using Mono on all 3. That way you know exactly what you have and don’t have to worry about what version of the CLR is installed on Windows or differences between the CLR and Mono. The main reason for a game engine to use CLR over Mono is performance and I don’t think it’s worth the extra work.

I think you make noise in totally wrong place. Look around a bit…

Do you have anything constructive to add to this thread TDoro? It’s getting sort of annoying being constantly distracted from the actual point of the thread because you (Among others) think the answer to everything is “C++”

Does that make it clear?

I’ve been coding in C++ over 20 years and C# for over 10 years. Not to mention years of Javascript, PHP, Smalltalk, Pascal, Fortran and numerous other languages. I don’t ‘make noise’, I speak from long experience in making technical tradeoffs on numerous projects with different technical and business goals.

And there I go, feeding a troll, :stuck_out_tongue:

We already had huge dissusion about it and every one knows support coming from outside, why we need another huge pointless?

Fact is some people here are obsesivly afraid to even look at C++ and act disrepecful toward it, where is not that really hard to learn it, it mostly psichical barrier, thats why some people are mad about it ; p

It’s amazing how many times people will go on a C++ rant without reading the threat properly… It’s getting very tedious

I believe there’s a big misunderstanding on C# purpose.

Even Epic suggests to use C++ for main classes and components and using Blueprints as a glue or for prototyping.

Most of developers coming from Unity and similar engines would be much more efficient in replacing Blueprints with C# for the above goals.

Something like this

Fred

C++ will probably always be needed for low level stuff at the very least, My aim is not to replace C++ programming but to augment it; Thank you for the feedback though and that’s an interesting video :slight_smile:

Unfortunately this is far from the truth. You can do quite a bit but in all cases, you will have a lot more exposed in programming than is exposed through Blueprints. Don’t give the guy a hard time and scold him by saying he needs to make an effort learning C++. That’s not helping anyone by critizing them. Saying all he wants to do is add a .NET layer full of bindings is ignorant because you don’t necessarily have to go that route. He clearly thinks C# is a lot more elegant than C++, for someone that has programmed in over 15 languages and over 25 years, I agree with him :slight_smile:

Yea C++ is more powerful if you are a good enough programmer to optimize your code correctly but that’s not to say that C# wouldn’t have value for some people. I know that people are working on integrations for C# so it will come and a lot of people will end up using it. All you are doing is simply coming on to troll and give this person a hard time for his approach/question.

Dude, people can use what fits their needs and what works best for them :wink: The fact that you are saying what you are shows you don’t have much experience in the game industry. Those languages are used by professionals world-wide simply put. People use what is best for them and what works in their case. Yes in most cases C++ is the way to go but it really depends on a lot of factors. I’m guessing you haven’t seen Epic’s own C# code within the engine :smiley:

But seriously guys, if you came to troll the guy and not actually give constructive criticism to help him out, but to put him down then you guys are a joke and pretty clueless. And if you guys keep up with your attitudes, Epic will end up banning you from the forums. And here I was thinking there wasn’t yet any trolls in the community. Nope, you guys proved me wrong. :smiley:

Now to , considering a C# layer isn’t yet in place, I would suggest learning C++. It won’t be too hard to transition over but if you look up on YouTube, there are a lot of great tutorials that people put out to help getting people up to speed. It is more intimidating than C# and definitely not nearly as elegant but it will make you a much stronger programmer because you will have to learn more about what happens under the covers but in the end, it will probably not be that hard. Like I said though, people on these forums are working on creating implementations for other languages and you can check in with them to see where they are at. Hell, if you want any reccomendations, I’d be glad to help ya out

But I wish ya the best of luck buddy and don’t waste your time with people like this :smiley:

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’.

Dude, you can call me and others like me trolls, and what not. It is you (and others like you) who are being passively aggressive - trolls I’d say.

That’s why I (and others like me) will never stop to protect what’s best and beautiful. Dude.

P.S.
And you cannot write elegant code in C++ because you simply cannot program elegantly in C++, dude.

Actually, You were the one who specifically came to a thread to offer a non constructive and off topic opinion…

Thank you for the (actually constructive :o :D) feedback, I will put more time into improving my C++ technique for now and maybe look into binding Mono further along in my project

Thanks bud, you beat me to it :). It’s a good thing I am up. , your name really suits your personality. lol :slight_smile: You had a golden opportunity to come back on and be the better person but clearly, you have proven you are a troll in every sense of the name. And also to make a comment about your judgment on me as a programmer, I couldn’t laugh anymore at your ignorance and lack of respect. Especially when you have no clue about the person you are judging lol. Are you a little kid? Also, considering just about over 10 of your past posts are, “come on man, C++ is better, if you don’t use it your an idiot and not a professional, blah, blah.” And you are seriously trying to convince me you are not trolling? Especially when you haven’t offered this guy any advice to actually help him? Your seriously kidding me right? lol hahah… You think insulting people on the forum is going to make you popular, you said in your previous post that people told you who were in the industry that A, B, C. That shows you aren’t much of a leader and a follower of what you hear but when it really comes down to it not to mention your lack of experience, you don’t have much experience as an actual programmer and you don’t have much of a clue what you are talking about and instead of better influencing yourself and treating others on these forums with respect that would otherwise help you, because in the end, no one would waste their time helping people out with your attitude so if you didn’t hear me clear enough, change your attitude and stop harassing people.

Awesome, if you need any help, let me know

I do not harass anyone.
And it is not .
Didn’t call anyone idiot.
If anyone you are troll.
Yes, in gaming industry, specially for products like UE4 C++ is the only choice. Get it buddy and stop moaning.

“Thank you for the (actually constructive ) feedback, I will put more time into improving my C++ technique for now and maybe look into binding Mono further along in my project
Awesome, if you need any help, let me know”

Yep, I can already see that happening. lol

It was you who posted a thread with trollish question and I in the spirit of “‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’”, replied.
That’s why in my previous post to McSticker I’ve said that it is people like him and you who should be considered trolls. Not people like I and TDoro (and others) who actually are capable of using C++ and understand that in gaming industry it is “a must”. Get it boy.

Look, I am not going to continue this discussion or waste my time. You simply like to insult people about their opinion let alone this guys original question. Its fact based off of your previous posts and if I remember correctly, you were ranting about the same thing in another thread and putting people down in there about the same thing.

And again…

“Yep, I can already see that happening. lol”, seriously dude… lol I mean really, are you going to sit over DarkStorms shoulder and analyze what he does every second of the day. If you are not seeing why I am calling you a troll in every sense of the word then honestly you will never get it. Again, I will say this one last time and then I am personally not gong to waste my time. Either you treat people with respect or simply put, we won’t be seeing much of your posts in the future. :slight_smile: take care

It was you who posted a thread with trollish question and I in the spirit of “‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’”, replied.
[/QUOTE]

Since you like quoting Edmund Burke so much : “There is, however, a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue.”

C++ is not the answer to everything, I know of the existence of C++, I know how to use it (Although I’m not an expert), That should be evidenced by me actually having the Unreal Engine 4 Developer’s Licence; I was asking a question meant for a specific purpose (Which I’ve said multiple times throughout this thread) Sadly, People are unable to see past their own needs and scenarios and therefore switch into troll mode and assume they know everything about every possible user case. Computing is about finding solutions, not imposing your own biases. “Get with it boy.”

You are mistaking very generally “computing” with actual game programming which is very specific and nothing suits it better than C++. Get on with it boy.