Built-in Subtitles

I’ll admit that the name and lack of documentation really don’t help make it clear that Dialogue Waves are primarily primitives to aid the localization concerns of dialogue, rather than a full dialogue system in their own right. I’ve actually been working with the doc team lately to overhaul our localization documentation (I wrote 32 pages of docs) and we’re currently going through the editing process, so hopefully the new docs will be live relatively soon - I can’t remember how much I wrote for Dialogue Waves, but I’ll make sure the points covered in this thread are on there :slight_smile:

With regards to subtitle improvements, I think we should do the following:

• Clean-up the hacks in FSubtitleManager (I think they’re there because SetMovieSubtitle doesn’t work with the Canvas rendering).

• Create a SSubtitleContainer widget (alongside the manager) that binds to FSubtitleManager::OnSetSubtitleText for you.

• This could work like SButton, and have a default text widget, but also allow you to provide a custom widget and event for updating it.

• Create a UMG wrapper for SSubtitleContainer that lets you add custom subtitle widgets to your UMG UI without having to add C++.

I also need to clean up the dead subtitle code in Sound Waves, and look at allowing overlays for advanced Dialogue Wave subtitles (as mentioned before).

I’ve added all of that to my list, though I’m not sure exactly when I’ll get a chance to look at it.

That is actually genius. Previously I implemented an Editor setting that took in a UMG BP for the subtitle manager to populate, but the SSubtitleContainer is much better. I might just experiment with that during the weekend.

I am the writer from Learning Resources working with Jamie to improve our documentation on localization. These documents are going through our review process, and will be published for the next Unreal Engine release. I will work with Jamie to see if we can get additional documentation on Dialogue Waves.

So I’d like to put some decent sized subtitles into my game preferably using the built-in system. However, I noticed there’s not an option currently to change the font size. Also if you have a wav file that’s 2 sentences, even with by setting the “time” setting on the wav, I cannot get the subtitles for that wav to display one after the other. They want to run all together at the start. Seems silly, considering how in-depth the subtitle section appears on audio files.

I was also interested in this thread, but in the course of writing my request here I solved the problem.

To Change Font Size (In Unreal 4.25)

1. Go to Project Settings > Editor > General Settings OR open Project Settings and put the word Subtitle into the search field.
  2. Under Subtitle Fonts select a Font Asset corresponding to what font (typeface + font-size) you would like to use.
  3. **This step is important. **Then you need to close and re-open the project before your newly selected subtitle font begins to be used by the engine.
  4. The new Font should now be used for your subtitles.
  • I’m unsure, but depending on what option you have selected for your Font asset under Font Cache Type will affect whether you need to do Step #3.
  • For anyone who is with Epic, or is working documentation for this, the hover text for the Subtitle Font option in the project settings has the text, @todo document”.
1 Like

Hi Jamie, what is the state of these tasks?

I have reached till getting built-in subtitle data from audio and expose it to blueprint and change accordingly in UMG.
But i am stuck on the part where Subtitle appear with the apprpriate time mentioned in the audio file and then remeve the widget.
Can anyone help me in the code?

This works like a charm!

1 Like