Building with unreal build tools my project, I get an Error

Maybe it works for you without visual studio because you build unreal form source, and I used the installer, and the installer may be bent on visual studio and can only use visual studio because it’s built that way.

Maybe it’s why you can.

Above work flow works with binary unreal engine installer and unreal build from source!

I will give it a try and post here.

Okay what terminal ?
command prompt does not recon the commands

C:\installer>vs_BuildTools.exe --layout c:\vsbt19 --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.W
orkload.ManagedDesktopBuildTools
‘vs_BuildTools.exe’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\installer>

I had to ajust the names it’s working, I will post.

Same thing, same error, same it’s build with another version or module is missing, log = Child process error.

Same same same, I’m already exploding lol

I create a blank class and it does the same.

What is child process error ?

What version of unreal do you have ? is it 4.26 ?

In the logs:
LogInit: Warning: Incompatible or missing module: Work

Building 9 actions with 2 processes…
@progress ‘Compiling C++ source code…’ 0%
@progress ‘Compiling C++ source code…’ 11%
[1/9] ERROR: Unable to create child process
LogInit: Warning: Still incompatible or missing module: Work
LogCore: Engine exit requested (reason: EngineExit() was called)

I installed windows a few days ago, then I installed unreal.
It’s all fresh, all of it. I did this because my hard drive was failing and had to reinstall.

Are you sure you don’t have visual studio installed on your computer but don’t use it ?

Thanks for your help I will start by installing unreal again.

In fact thank your for your time, I’m sure this thread will help many who “wants it this way” without “Buloxis”

You actually took the time to help me, thanks Sam.

1 Like

Seems my problem is solved, I reinstalled Unreal, but downgraded to the latest 4.24.
4.25 may work I did not try it.

There may be some compability issues if you are running on windows 7 with 4.26.
Works fine now without “VISUAL STUDIO” compiles new C++ class from the editor, add new C++ class and compiles, no error. Still have to test with prompt but I think it will do just fine.

Thank you once again, lots of info in this thread for who wants it.
Glad I fixed it.

1 Like

I also tried to build like in the tutorial today, it works, I build binaries and look towards adding classes.
So just for your trouble, if you run into it (trouble that is) for anyone who wants it this way, this thread is very good I think, and will solve headakes for others.

You can use sublimetex, Vccode VCcode has trouble with Intelisense you can disable intelisense, you don’t need it, but Vccode has unreal sniplets. Make it in Vccode save, manual build and compile from command prompt.

Problem Solved.

1 Like

Wow, yeah, I’m pretty sure Windows 7 support itself was dropped several years ago, VS tools support for Win 7 was dropped in VS2015, I think, Unreal hasn’t supported Win 7 for a few years either.

This may come as a surprise, but 32-bit support will be dropped in the next release as well.

Honest question – do you really expect to be able to develop something modern with what hardware and software that is a decade old? If you want to develop with that, fine, but you’ll probably need to use a similar era of engine to do it.

I just returned to Unreal after being mostly away since the release of 4, and I had to completely replace my 8 year old hardware, despite it working completely fine for pretty much everything else. (although I was running Win 10, so I didn’t have an issue with the support software like you’re having) It’s just not possible for such an old machine to tolerate the workload modern tech puts it through in a timely fashion.

Looked at this issue a bit more found out that Visual studio build tools and visual studio 2019 is still supports win 7 sp1 will all the last updates and hotfixes, Visual Studio 2019 System Requirements | Microsoft Learn though win7 support ended in 2020 Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020 - Microsoft Support

I have corrected tool chain post above to say that issue is with engine version, sorry for error.

I remember a system having win7 and ue4.24 or ue4.25 last year. Unreal started having issue with win7 after support ended, with 4.25.0 release Unreal Engine 4.25 and Windows 7 compatibility and got a fix in 4.25.2 4.25.2 Hotfix released

Again it started having trouble after 4.26 release (see link in above post). Anway its better to stick with 4.25 and go directly to ue5 as 4.26 still has a lot of issues. May be best version for production after 4.17 is 4.25.3

ok, so i was guesstimating on most of that, and it’s rather surprising that VS team hasn’t at least ignored, if not explicitly dropped Win 7… still, point stands, though, with 10 year old hardware and software, you’re going to have a really bad time with current stuff.

Unreal and Visual Studio worked fine with 4.25 version on my computer, compiled without problems on windows 7. I did not try 4.26 with visual studio.

There is also an option to get rid of visual studio or any other IDE with the new beta editor from unreal, change, write code in unreal, the way it should have been from the start. The new Beta Code Editor inside Unreal, just tap plugins and you will find it under the Programming section “Beta code editor” compiles on the fly. You just need MS Build Tools, No Visual Studio Installment.

Let’s just hope they don’t remove it. I really hope they don’t, finally an internal working editor inside unreal editor to edit code as you please and compile, and as I understand it’s multi language ? You can write python inside of it also.

Editor in unReal.

Thank you unreal :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :pray:

1 Like

I can install win 10 on my pc, it will work on 4 gb of ram.
What is the point, I don’t like win 10 because it’s a security issue, a breach of my privacy, and it was dessigend in such way to facilitate that I think.

I’m not going to say Microsoft is evil, right. But sort of just keep my moulth shut and not use it.
When I will get another pc, I will probally look at win 11, and how not to put win 11 on-line.

All professional game programmers and companies that work in this domain that I looked at work off line not to compromise security. Only when it’s beta release they plug the internet in it, to test servers and so on.

We’re not like building something major to cover from spies, it’s just that they do get in and it annoys the heck out of you. If I ever get win 11 with another PC it will stay offline with unreal installed on it.

That is why the need to stay away from Visual Studio that makes you sign in, you have to sign in with your PC, and who knows.

Let’s see how the best hacker hacks me totally offline :rofl: Hack this sucker.
I got hacked, my drive is done, had to plug another one in and throw the old one away because it got broken from the head writing the way it should not have done so.

It’s fine by me, I banned their whole country IP set of address, SOuth Corea does not exist for me anymore on the internet. It’s full of hackers, even the Russians are like nothing compared to them, they are agressive into doing damage on your computer.

BAN !!! Nothing but evil coming out of south coreea, with gov spies, spying on you for software tec, hackers hacking to get benefits or to wreck your computer. Nothing but Jack ■■■■■.

I think if you are a jack ■■■ you deserve a big BAN .
I know who it is, who done it, not worth mentioning.

Very true. Also the hard disk hack you mention is also a real vulnerability. Real question is why both windos and linux are unwilling to fix such attack points, is it intentionally kept there on purpose?

I am working on an engine plugin to support for QT Creator from within Unreal engine on both linux and windows. I will push it in a couple of months to epic repo, and if they accept it, it should be availalble for all.

Edit:
@eblade
Reply to below comment: as I Don’t want to spam or make this discussion out of topic.
I like to be very civil in conversations, and I always try to be helpful to others, within the forum rules.

Many developers and studios who can work offline do that today. Why? Because the ‘IT security’ and softwares have failed in the last couple of years in stopping hackers and ransomewares. These things are on news regularly, which you might be knowing already.

I’ve never run into anyone who was that paranoid as to run everything without an internet connection. That’s what security IT is for.

It is sam, the HDD damage, it is very true. I know who did it, where he is from, but it’s pointless, I will never be friend with that group again. Ego Centric people.

1 Like

Why we are here eblade, and why I opened this thread, you will eventually run into them if you talk to them, they will pick up on you to see what you got, check you out. You will be their friend online, you don’t even know , slowly you will begin to trust them, a file share today a file share tomorrow and they eventually they gain access to you and you are not expecting because you are sort of part of the team right, or part of the club.

In time tho you will notice they are egomaniacs and ego centrical and also psychopathical people, the way they behave, they can’t stand to be wrong, even if you show them.
They simply don’t know how to loose, and loosing is part of life, you know maybe these people are right and I’m wrong. For them this does not exist, so arguing with them is pointless.

Security is a big issue, less things better, like Visual Studio and so on.
It’s not only about security issue for me regarding Visual Studio, it’s just not my thing at all.
Compiling time, pages become laggy to open when you have a few more opened already.
It does stuff that you don’t know … that intelisense stuff, I’m not conffy with it.
It go’s into a data base and from that data base it go’s where ?

I went online and ask them, why is my stuff going inside data base, it’s getting bigger and bigger, like storing there past events, what for ? They said it’s for directives to instruct arguments on the header how to compile things, to reapeat again so the header does not generate errors, to check again, validate, this already consumes resources, the DB, it just grows especially with VScode.

Then you wonder why is the DB so big for a project that you started that weights like 1000 MB, and the data base already is like 10GB. I herd people intelisense generates this DB with CPP Tool Chains and it grows so big that they run out of space on their drive, I isolated also my internet connection and this DB seems to want permission to get on the internet and do what ? some components related to it at least.

1 Like

Running the following helped me get through build errors:

dotnet add package JetBrains.Annotations
dotnet add package Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.CSharp
dotnet add package Microsoft.CSharp
dotnet add package Microsoft.Extensions.Logging
dotnet add package Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Abstractions
dotnet add package Microsoft.Win32.Registry
dotnet add package OpenTracing
dotnet add package System.Data.DataSetExtensions
dotnet add package System.Management
dotnet add package System.Memory
dotnet add package System.Reflection.MetadataLoadContext
dotnet add package System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController
dotnet add package System.Text.Encoding.CodePages
dotnet add package System.Windows.Extensions

quick note, here are the MSBUILD packages i had to install for unreal 5.3 :slightly_smiling_face:

-add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.ManagedDesktopBuildTools --add Microsoft.Component.MSBuild --add Microsoft.Net.Component.4.7.2.TargetingPack --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.CoreBuildTools --add Microsoft.Net.Component.4.8.SDK --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.NuGet.BuildTools --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Roslyn.Compiler --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.MSBuildTools --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.VCTools --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.CMake.Project --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Tools.x86.x64 --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Llvm.Clang --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Llvm.ClangToolset --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentGroup.NativeDesktop.Llvm.Clang --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.20348 --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.NuGet --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.14.34.17.4.x86.x64 --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.14.34.17.4.MFC