Download

Building with unreal build tools my project, I get an Error

Maybe it works for you without visual studio because you build unreal form source, and I used the installer, and the installer may be bent on visual studio and can only use visual studio because it’s built that way.

Maybe it’s why you can.

Above work flow works with binary unreal engine installer and unreal build from source!

I will give it a try and post here.

Okay what terminal ?
command prompt does not recon the commands

C:\installer>vs_BuildTools.exe --layout c:\vsbt19 --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.W
orkload.ManagedDesktopBuildTools
‘vs_BuildTools.exe’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\installer>

I had to ajust the names it’s working, I will post.

Same thing, same error, same it’s build with another version or module is missing, log = Child process error.

Same same same, I’m already exploding lol

I create a blank class and it does the same.

What is child process error ?

What version of unreal do you have ? is it 4.26 ?

In the logs:
LogInit: Warning: Incompatible or missing module: Work

Building 9 actions with 2 processes…
@progress ‘Compiling C++ source code…’ 0%
@progress ‘Compiling C++ source code…’ 11%
[1/9] ERROR: Unable to create child process
LogInit: Warning: Still incompatible or missing module: Work
LogCore: Engine exit requested (reason: EngineExit() was called)

I installed windows a few days ago, then I installed unreal.
It’s all fresh, all of it. I did this because my hard drive was failing and had to reinstall.

Are you sure you don’t have visual studio installed on your computer but don’t use it ?

Thanks for your help I will start by installing unreal again.

In fact thank your for your time, I’m sure this thread will help many who “wants it this way” without “Buloxis”

You actually took the time to help me, thanks Sam.

1 Like

Seems my problem is solved, I reinstalled Unreal, but downgraded to the latest 4.24.
4.25 may work I did not try it.

There may be some compability issues if you are running on windows 7 with 4.26.
Works fine now without “VISUAL STUDIO” compiles new C++ class from the editor, add new C++ class and compiles, no error. Still have to test with prompt but I think it will do just fine.

Thank you Sam once again, lots of info in this thread for who wants it.
Glad I fixed it.

1 Like

I also tried to build like in the tutorial today, it works, I build binaries and look towards adding classes.
So just for your trouble, if you run into it (trouble that is) for anyone who wants it this way, this thread is very good I think, and will solve headakes for others.

You can use sublimetex, Vccode VCcode has trouble with Intelisense you can disable intelisense, you don’t need it, but Vccode has unreal sniplets. Make it in Vccode save, manual build and compile from command prompt.

Problem Solved.

1 Like

Wow, yeah, I’m pretty sure Windows 7 support itself was dropped several years ago, VS tools support for Win 7 was dropped in VS2015, I think, Unreal hasn’t supported Win 7 for a few years either.

This may come as a surprise, but 32-bit support will be dropped in the next release as well.

Honest question – do you really expect to be able to develop something modern with what hardware and software that is a decade old? If you want to develop with that, fine, but you’ll probably need to use a similar era of engine to do it.

I just returned to Unreal after being mostly away since the release of 4, and I had to completely replace my 8 year old hardware, despite it working completely fine for pretty much everything else. (although I was running Win 10, so I didn’t have an issue with the support software like you’re having) It’s just not possible for such an old machine to tolerate the workload modern tech puts it through in a timely fashion.

Look at this at this a issue a bit more found out that Visual studio build tools and visual studio 2019 is still supports win 7 sp1 will all the last updates and hotfixes, Visual Studio 2019 System Requirements | Microsoft Docs though win7 support ended in 2020 Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020

I have corrected tool chain post above to say that issue is with engine version, sorry for error.

I remember a system having win7 and ue4.24 or ue4.25 last year. Unreal started having issue with win7 after support ended, with 4.25.0 release Unreal Engine 4.25 and Windows 7 compatibility and got a fix in 4.25.2 4.25.2 Hotfix released

Again it started having trouble after 4.26 release (see link in above post). Anway its better to stick with 4.25 and go directly to ue5 as 4.26 still has a lot of issues. May be best version for production after 4.17 is 4.25.3

ok, so i was guesstimating on most of that, and it’s rather surprising that VS team hasn’t at least ignored, if not explicitly dropped Win 7… still, point stands, though, with 10 year old hardware and software, you’re going to have a really bad time with current stuff.