Blueprint pins are always disconnected when project is opened

so, the crash is a result of the original bug. it occurs when trying to open the files that no longer compile after opening the editor. This is new with 4.2.

Our blueprints inherit from C++ classes, but those classes contain barely any code at all, i think there is only one function that we use so far. (which is just a math function to layout our hex grid)

Hey Eric, I’ll check with lambda but i don’t think we have tried this yet. I’ll get back you when i find out.

Hey Eric, I was massively confused by this thread as it seems we got a little mixed up here. Lambda had tested your theory and it didnt work. And to give an update, we have a version of this bug in our latest build that is constant, but when we reconnect the two nodes this time, it compiles and saves and the game runs fine. But when the project is closed and reopened, they are disconnected again.

Hey Guys -

Ok finally got time to dig into your problem and was able to match it to a bug report, so YEAH! Unfortunately it means that I don’t have an easy fix for you. Our Engineers are working on this bug, but I do not have a time table to a fix. I will keep you informed as I find out more.

Thank you for your patience in this matter -

Eric Ketchum

Here is the summary for the official bug (from my test on your project it is a variation of this problem):

You have two blueprints, A and B, and A has a function that has an input for an actor of type B. Then B casts to A to use that function, but uses Self as an input. If you compile, save and close the editor, then open it again, the Self reference will be disconnected. This seems to be because the Input of the function is looking for the blueprint casting to it.

Eric,
That’s great news! Good to know that progress is being made. Thanks for the update.

time traveler from the past says: “public variables” try setting them if you run into an issue like this.