Blender FBX and gltf exports are not imported correctly

Its actually that simple! I’ve renamed the armature and it works. Unbelivable :D. But I remember reading that fbx export does something to the armature under certain cicumstances. Something like deleting or adding to the root bone?

When renaming the armature that import warning vanishes as well.

[USER=“29278”]Richard Culver[/USER] [USER=“3140864”]MostHost LA[/USER] thanks for your help guys!

I still can’t believe that I just had to rename the armature… I won’t be able to sleep tonight… :smiley:

“I remember reading that fbx export does something to the armature under certain cicumstances.”
Root motion issues, but that’s really only relevant to rigs that are pre-existing and come in from an FBX import.
You should have no downside from it, Aside the fact it may leave you high and dry when it stops working whenever Montagne or the team patches the FBX export again.

If you set the scale correctly and save your startup file, you basically won’t have any issues ever.

Oh right! I forgot to attach the output log. Have a look at the attachment. As mentioned before tough, that import warning vanishes as soon as I rename the armature.

Setting the scale to 0.01 didn’t work either unfortunately. Even in a “factory reset” Blender 2.8x. The scale of animation and mesh matched but they where way too small.

@Edregol
You must have missed this so I’ll share again

You can see from the error log why the scale is at fault

Source Global Transform (0.000000,0.000000,0.000000|0.000000,0.000000,89.999992|100.000000,100.000000,100.000000),
Converted Global Transform (0.000000,0.000000,0.000000|0.000000,0.000000,90.000008|1.000000,1.000000,1.000000)

Even more noticable here

Source Global Transform (0.000000,-0.000002,16.981487|0.000000,0.000000,92.213112|100.000000,100.000000,100.000000),
Converted Global Transform (0.000000,0.000000,0.169815|0.000000,0.000000,92.213120|1.000000,1.000000,1.000000)

You can see 16.98 is turned to .1698.

Yeah. It is bizarre.

So now I am hoping that my tutorials on Blender (particularly the ones about scale) start to make sense… lol

So keep this in mind for the future, be it Unity Unreal or Maya or whatever. Most apps have a scale difference of 1-100 from Blender.

This little bug exposes that clearly. And I would have solved this days ago if I had not been thrown off the scent by trying to explain that the standard settings in fbx work as expected, without any need to adjust the scale settings. Because the people who write these importers and exporters know this 1-100 factor and write this into the code to solve it.

But each app handles it differently. In Unity it adds a scale of 100. And with the robotics engineers I deal with at one of my clients, this plays havoc with their math in Unity. So I had to solve that coming from Blender. Very simple and no reason to go into it here. But the main reason I don’t recommend resetting the scene scale in Blender is because it just messes up other things you are trying to do in Blender and it is not worth it, and becomes a bad habit as well as does not work well on a team level when you start adding arbitrary units into the pipeline.

I explain more clearly in my tutorials on scale.

Thankfully most people using Unreal for animation purposes will never have any issues using the standard settings for fbx and keeping Blender at its default scale. Gotta love Unreal for this. And it is so much better - to me - than dealing with Unity. And is one of the things I was exited about before coming to this thread, which is why I was so emphatic about it.

Best of luck.

Happy Animating!

I’ll leave you with this:

For the sake of clarity to anyone trying to sort this out.

1. The Error while importing this file was:

“Imported bone transform is different from original. Please check Output Log to see detail of error.”

The behavior was the object loaded in at the correct size but the animation is 100 times too small. (comes in directly at .01 or 100 times too small.)

The solution to this when coming from Blender, could very well be: Simply rename your Armature object to anything else than Armature, such as my_character_rig. This is the Object level.

This may be all you have to do. But it might cause other issues:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve…-from-original

Depending on your situation there may be more to do.

1. There is a scale difference between Blender and Unreal of 1 (blender) to 100 Unity. Hence the .01 factor. This is because the default unit in Blender is 1 Meter and the default unit in Unreal is 1 Centimeter. So it takes 100 Blender units to make 1 Meter in Unreal.

2. Generally speaking (and my strong recommendation) is that it is best not to mess with any Scene Scale Values in Blender, nor any axis rotation settings coming from Blender export or any adjustments to axis going into Unreal on import. This applies only to .fbx.

For most people there will be no issues leaving things at more or less the defaults with regards to scale and axis rotation.

In this use case of the OP, this was the final solution. However…

1. This may not work for everyone, if you have other needs once you are in Unreal: Reference the link above in this post.

Edit: My bad,reread the thread. The addon that was used in this thread to successfully export even the Armature named object is here:

Here is my video explaining scale settings in Blender and relationships to other apps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRRP…_FpyM&index=40

It is in 2.79 but applies to 2.8 as well.

Except in the video I wasn’t using my plugin at all.
that’s just the vanilla exporter and how you properly set a file up to scale.
The plugin isn’t required to do any of what I did in the video.

The FBX send out has it’s issues (or I wouldn’t have changed pieces of it).

All things considered, the greater part of the recordings in your playlist being for .79, things are somewhat obsolete.

The explanation the Operation probably attempted gltf (and I’m in a real sense speculating here) is that with the gltf design and the (I think exploratory) incredible module you can really send out/import vertex paint for a static lattice. That is simply the explanation I have been utilizing it myself in any event. Also, for that, it works okay in spite of the scale issue.

Also, the Module IS local blender. Practically all modules are truly.

It’s a bunch of calculations that you could simply do by hand individually to accomplish the eventual outcomes.

Since I like to work professionally, rather than sitting around not indispensable by doing likewise things again and again, I stuffed the idea into a python module that makes it conceivable to go from beginning to end.

The manner in which I educated the Operation to utilize the module will basically constrain the scale to the right settings.

He can be the appointed authority of if that works or not by attempting it.

Reference Statement of Purpose | Format with Samples, Examples & templates(2021)
GRE Math • How to score 170 with expert GRE Tips & Practice Questions
GRE Quant Time Management Tips, Tricks & Strategies (Score a 170)

The FBX send out has it’s issues (or I wouldn’t have changed pieces of it).

All things considered, the greater part of the recordings in your playlist being for .79, things are somewhat obsolete.

The explanation the Operation probably attempted gltf (and I’m in a real sense speculating here) is that with the gltf design and the (I think exploratory) incredible module you can really send out/import vertex paint for a static lattice. That is simply the explanation I have been utilizing it myself in any event. Also, for that, it works okay in spite of the scale issue.

Also, the Module IS local blender. Practically all modules are truly.

It’s a bunch of calculations that you could simply do by hand individually to accomplish the eventual outcomes.

Since I like to work professionally, rather than sitting around not indispensable by doing likewise things again and again, I stuffed the idea into a python module that makes it conceivable to go from beginning to end.

The manner in which I educated the Operation to utilize the module will basically constrain the scale to the right settings.

He can be the appointed authority of if that works or not by attempting it.

Reference Statement of Purpose | Format with Samples, Examples & templates(2021)
GRE Math • How to score 170 with expert GRE Tips & Practice Questions
GRE Quant Time Management Tips, Tricks & Strategies (Score a 170)