Blender 2.73a and 2.74 working export to UE4 settings for various types

I do the -90˚ in the importer because Blender forward is -Y and UE forward is +X

For you guys working with Armature:
If you set blender world scale to 1.0/metric and also set export scale to 1.0, the armature scale wont get messed up.
In UE4 set the import scale to 100.

You may get an error during import stating that physics asset can not be generated because bones are to small.
On the import mesh -> create -> physics asset -> set min bone size to 0.05 -> works fine

Ive been setting up blendspaces and so far i did not run in any further trouble, but i took me a whole weekend to figure out the blender exporter scaling mess on armature. I hope they will fix this soon.

Dont listen to what i had to say. Do it the way OP describes. Took me some time to realize physics asset is messed up when using my method -.-

@Rouli, darn! I was quite excited when I saw your post. yeah so far this is the only successful method I have found.

I can’t get it right with this settings… I export something with X 4.805cm, Y 6.859cm and Z 1.664cm but when I import in UE4 the approx size is 480x685x166 which I guess is way to big?

I applied everything / did use Metric and Degrees in blender and imported everything with scale 1.

Hmm yeah your size in UE4 should end up as 4.8x6.8x1.6 which is pretty small, UE units are cm.

Um did you use 0.01 in your import scale?

It seems mont29 has finally fixed the scale stuff for Blender 2.75 (not had a go with the dev build yet but certainly gonna update this once I do)

Hello!

I am beginner in Unreal Engine and 3D modelling. I made a character in Blender and animated it. Following this tutorial, I am trying to import the character and it’s animations in the FBX format. But I am confused about how to export the character model and animation separately. I tried to follow the images given in the post and check/ uncheck the correct options. But I am on Blender 2.70 and my Export FBX options look like this:
e3cec28ba057a7d5e4dd7fa9cd277410fc88342e.jpeg

And I get empty FBX files after exporting. Could someone help me figure out where I might be going wrong?

Hoping it’s not too noob a question! ( :

Thanks in advance.

hmm, I didn’t play much with Blender pre 2.73 and 2.74 first time I got serious with it, I’m not sure if 2.7 even exports using FBX 7.1 I’m afraid I don’t know. I can confirm a lot of these scale problems seem to have been fixed with 2.75 though.

Works with Blender verion 2.75 RC

Hey Anadin,

Thank you so much for your reply. I downloaded the release candidate version of Blender 2.75 and followed all your steps from the beginning. And it works! I don’t think I need to scale it down to 0.010 anymore, because that just makes the mesh really tiny in UE4. I was a bit confused with the extra option in the FBX export menu - “Key All Bones”. It was checked by default, so I kept it as it is. And things seem to be working quite okay! ( :

Thanks again.

Cheers!
Ashin

hey Anadin, thanks so much for your time getting this to work

Though I have a problem, I have basically copied and pasted your settings straight to blender 2.75, though whenever I import to ue4 I get 2 warnings, one about smoothing groups, the other about degenerate tangents being missing, and therefore ue4 says it will result in incorrect shading, low and behold my entire mesh becomes pitch black after building the project. Anyone else has this issue?

nevermind… had to create a UV map

:slight_smile: Also, UE4 now builds the light map UV’s on import, open up all the settings and make sure the tick box is ticked.

Or conversely you could just use the Blender/UE Tools available for free over in the user content section of the forum and bypass all of this work. It has an entire Blender scene with the UE4 4.8 mannequin, with a full rig which can be animated and those animations can be retargeted for the official mannequin. I’m sorry but this is all old info for old versions of Blender. A simple search through the forums would have negated the need for this post all together.

This was written before 2.75 came out, some of my requested bug fixes are the reason 2.75 no longer needs these workarounds, if you looked at the title of the post you’d see it specifically mentions 2.73 and early 2.74 builds.

It is true most of the jumping through hoops is now gone with 2.75 you can have no units and not set any scales and most stuff works fine now.

Blender UE Tools was first introduced April 2014 I believe that predates any of the versions you have listed actually, so you could have done a search and solved all your problems with one download. There is, however, a line of code that needs to be commented out in Blender to avoid the extra ‘root bone’ issues. Otherwise, as I said, UE Tools is an excellent plugin and it works pretty much flawlessly.

I haven’t tried these tools yet (I’m not on my main workstation atm), but does it work with custom rigs (biped/quadruped/anything)?