Download

Best performing 2D "minigame" option? (Solvedish)

Simply put, 3D game but with a 2D minigame “popup” so to speak. Fairly dynamic. Hoping for 2D particles, shaders / post processing, ect.

The options I can think of are:

Paper2D

Widgets

Canvas

Orthographic view or really low FOV perspective view being applied to the screen “on top of” the main camera render

Helpful note is that during this, the main camera stays mostly stable - some screenshake and FOV changes being the only real differences.

Does anyone know the right call here? In general, imagine a “fully fledged” 2D game - one with shader effects / particles that at times mimic Geometry Wars 2’s (mostly in reference to the shockwave effects). I’m not terribly familiar with UE4’s 2D stuff - I’ve looked at the relevant projects but nothing quite seemed to translate to this and it’s very important that both are being rendered at the same time. I’ve mostly used Widgets for UI and menus and Canvas for the more nitty gritty bits like separating the health bar into sections by drawing lines.

Edit: It appears that Paper2D is the way to go. Simply put, Widgets are meant for modularity and mostly static elements - they save performance by more or less attempting to update as infrequently as possible and don’t take too kindly to animating sprites and frequently moving elements. Particles and shader effects are WAY outside of their scope. Canvas is just a lower level (albeit still very different) version of this for the task at hand.

Thus, Paper2D stands alone as the only viable option. Alternatives to this are also acceptable - such as textured meshes (flat planes or otherwise) or a shader that draws the scene to the screen without textures being involved (which, generally, isn’t a great idea).

It’s not that you can’t use Widgets - it’s obviously been done before - it’s that for my specific use case they’ll perform worse and be more limited than what I’d like to achieve with my end product. Their main attraction in this case is simply in their auto-magical application to the screen, modular design, and ease of scaling. All of which can be handled by the alternative solutions. This is, of course, without even getting into the additional downsides to running such a “heavy” thing through the Widgets system.