Basic Item System with stacking functionality - Please Critique!

Basically where does #1 go (on the Inventory blueprint or Level blueprint or what?) and the same goes for the subsequent event graphs.

You can tell that #1 goes in the BaseInventory blueprint because you’re calling an OnOverlap event with the Sphere1 component (you can see it in parenthesis in the picture). Before that image, Hakabane instructed you to make a blueprint called BaseInventory and add a Sphere in it.

As for the rest - take a look at the first image again. See the three nodes that have grey borders and a blue gear in the top left corner? Those are macros. It technically doesn’t matter where you put these - Hakabane puts them in his BaseInventory blueprint, but I put mine in my character blueprint because I prefer it that way (for now at least). The reason it doesn’t matter is because you’re casting from the BaseItem blueprint - that is to say, you’re pulling info from the BaseItem blueprint in order to use these macros. For the sake of clarity - all 3 macros are found inside the BaseInventory blueprint in Hakabane’s tutorial.

The function at the end is created just like the macros (it’s also the same way you make new variables). The function also goes into the BaseInventory blueprint.

You’re making this into Class blueprints so they aren’t dependent on the level. It would be a huge pain in the **** to re-build these scripts for every level in your game, hence nothing Hakabane has introduced should go into the level blueprint.

Would be awesome if you could expand and add in Keypress/Click to pickup

Haha, you thought I meant “impossible” in a way that means “possible, just difficult or problematic.”

No. I meant impossible, as in, not possible. At all. As in, doesn’t work. As in, broken.

Care to be my hero and walk me through how you installed it without downloading it? When I try to sneakernet it onto my computer it doesn’t work. It wants to re-download everything.

ETA: just noticed that word, “downloaded.” So, you downloaded it on your connection? If so, haha, that’s a lot faster than dialup. I doubt I could download it on my connection at all. It would take weeks, assuming I didn’t get corrupt files and have to re-download for the rest of my life, which I would.

You can achieve this by modifying the characterBP and implementing a blueprint interface, I’ve done this myself based on Hakabane’s inventory tutorial and would be happy to make a, perhaps more elaborate step by step approach into making this as long as Hakabane approves of that :slight_smile:
Also if I am going to make this, would you guys like it to be a step by step from creating the inventory system or just the interface implementation “mouse1click” to pickup?

Kind Regards, J

step by step the whole way would be splendid! :smiley:

I have contacted Hakabane about this and I’m waiting for his response :slight_smile:

Edit: Hakabane was nice enough to let me do this :slight_smile:
It will most likely be a text+images approach(not 100% sure yet)

I will not be replying to this thread for awhile, as I want to finish my inventory system from start to finish. Anyone who wants to make use of this system and write tutorials is more than welcome to do so, just please give credit where it is due. Once my whole system is done, I plan to record a full youtube series of videos explaining it from start to finish and releasing it through the market place since it’s something many people will want.

I had originally actually wanted feedback for this system and it turned into a tutorial which really wasn’t my goal at the time of the post. I hope it helps people along and if any serious questions come up you can PM me but I am a busy person so it may take time to reply.

-Haka

Another great resource is Hourences’ new blueprint tutorials. He goes into detail on how to set up things like click events to collect items.

Hi, I tried your guide and its functionalities work. I had just had one question though…

I add and Input Event (Press I) so that I could check the contents of the variable where the items are suppose to be stored. I just used Print Node because I don’t have a HUD for it yet.

So when I press my key the screen shows ‘B_Herb_C’ (the name of my pickup blueprint), but after sometime, a minute I think, the display turns to ‘None’. Now this worries me. Did you encounter the same? Or is this normal and it won’t affect the storing of items in the inventory?

I’ve made a new thread so that the tutorial hopefully will be easier to find.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?4463-Hakabane-s-Inventory-System-guide&p=28807#post28807
Thanks to Hakabane for the original overview!

Hi, have you fix this issue? Here happens the same, it’s strange, I’ve tested the lenght of array and thats OK, but looks like cleared

I have not tested this myself and cant really answer that and I dont see myself trying right now either since I will probably get even more busy with other things for some time.
Hopefully I will be able to be much more active on the forums later this year and I will probably end up revisiting, reworking and maybe even building on this system.