Basic animation set

Dude your hilarious, I have no Team when it comes to animation as of about 2 years ago I knew nothing about it at all. I am handling all Skeleton Creation, Motion Capture, Retargeting, Mesh Weight Painting & Animation for our Project. I spent 1k out of my own pocket for our animation studio. I still just don’t think you all are seeing the full picture because you do not understand how to do it all yourself yet.

That’s great you crank out 100’s of animation and attempt to customize them to each as best you can. Once someone gets to the whole I need this animation stage the hurdles they are going to have to overcome to be able to create what they need plus still use what your providing is enormous. The rig alone is very problematic, just trying to get everyone to agree on a Rig is going to be hard. That’s like a huge future planning sticking point is the skeleton that will be used. I can not stress this enough.

Look I not trying to sit here and say its a bad you got a great goal, its just not practical or focused on the right direction. If some AAA studio hasn’t come out with some sort of all encompassing get you started guide for this I doubt the indie community could do it justice. Plus others have tried and failed look at Mixamo.

Just handing someone a fish will not stop the problem, teaching them to fish is a better approach. But this is the one thing I think the community or AAA studio’s could do. Make better tools to streamline, uniform and simplify the above discusses process’s. Do I believe they could really improve the tools and not make it so difficult to learn or time consuming = DEFINATLY! Why do you think UE4 has that Maya Skeleton plugin, they are trying. Problem here is its not a universal tool its just for maya users…

But hey what do I know prove me wrong, if you do it will alter the developer scene for the better.

Cheers

Some really awesome news on that front, I’ve just seen that Epic have donated 10k euros to Blender to help improve the FBX pipeline! https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/status/485431565447868416
Hopefully this should mean that we’ll soon have an easier ride getting things between Blender and UE4. Also shows Epic are committed to helping the community they’re building which is really awesome :slight_smile:

What you’re saying is true, but I think it’s you that’s not seeing the full picture here. The point is that when you’re starting out making a game you don’t necessarily need every single animation working right away, but you do need something. Once the prototype is working and you can see it plays well enough you can then use it to attract talent and funding etc. and then you can swap out the animations with better ones.

Of course there’s no substitute for learning how to do things yourself, but by your logic things like Blueprints and Playmaker are a waste of time because once you need something more complex you’re going to need to know how to program, so it’s a waste of time trying to make a game without knowing how to program. That’s clearly not the case - as long as you know and respect the limitations of the tools you’re using there’s plenty of scope to create awesome games without doing everything by hand.
Many people just want to make a simple game, and would be quite happy to use, say, a basic FPS motion set and work within its limits. If you don’t have the motion for “bend over and pick up” just code a nice particle dissolve when you click the object etc.

Bump.
This thread is awesome i have started reading it on September but the last post was in July. What happened ? Have you found a solution to all of that? This thread should not stop.