Automation Tool Failed During Launch

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the update. I actually have a bug right now in the engine and had to implement custom code from Marc Audy so I unfortunately won’t be able to attempt that workaround until potentially 4.5 releases and pending if this change made it into that branch. I’m guessing is this week or next, 4.5 will be out and I can test things there. That’s not much of a problem but that does limit me from not being able to directly update the engine code if updates for bug fixes are available on GitHub. If that fix did make it into 4.5, then the workaround may be adequate.

Since I need to use that update from Marc, I’ll have to hold out and can’t take advantage of that workaround but if you can update this thread when a fix is posted to GitHub, that would be great.

Thanks again Jon!

Hey MC Stryker,

Version 4.5 is out now! Are you still having issues with this?

Unfortunately it didn’t… just tried it and got the following crash log…

What happened prior is it seemed to be working and going through the launch but it eventually hung the engine in a Not Responding state for over 20 minutes and after ending the process and trying again, I got the following message in the log I posted above.

After further examination of the error, it maybe appears to be failing on my Saitek X52 Pro Plugin possibly and I am getting the specific error of “LogPlayLevel:Display: UnrealBuildTool: ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: D:\Unreal Engine 4\Source\UnrealEngine-4.5.0-release\Engine\Plugins\Castellana\SaitekX52ProPlugin\Binaries\Win64\SpaceRacerPrototype-SaitekX52ProPlugin-Static.lib”

It is not providing much more information than that and this plugin works normally within the editor so I am not sure what the issue is but hope the above helps in finding the issue. Thanks Jon

As an addition issue that is unrelated but has happened 5 times in a row is that the engine after copying this text from the crash log and trying to Alt-Tab back to it is causing the 4.5 version of the editor to now freeze up and I have to manually close it through Task Manager. If you want, I can create a new bug on AnswerHub regarding this additional issue but since it has to do with me trying to launch, getting the error, copying the text then Alt-Tab’ing back and is consistent, I figured I’d log it here. Hope this gets figured out and let me know if you need me to test anything else on my end for you guys, take it easy.

AutomationScripts.Automation.dll is protected by Windows after download from internet.

Right click at AutomationScripts.Automation.dll in Explorer → properties-> and you see button at bottom, dont know how it call in English

You need to do it for all DLLs in Engine\Binaries\DotNET folder

Yeah, please make a new Question on AnswerHub about that. This one is getting a little long/hard to track.

I’m not familiar with that plugin. Does this error stop happening if you remove the plugin?

Sure Jon, I’ll go ahead and create an additional thread for that issue.

The plugin was actually one that I created to interface with the Saitek X52 Pro Flight Setup. It could be possible that since the plugin is still part of the Engine source and not the game itself that maybe it’s having an issue creating a build that references those but then again, between the Oculus Rift and other 3rd Party Plugins, I’d doubt it but you never know.

I did try to make my plugins local to my game last night when attempting to upgrade to 4.5 and wasn’t sure of the folder structure and tried dumping them in the project root and also source but that didn’t work. I’m going to go take a look at the documentation on how to do that and hopefully that helps out. Are there any things off the top of your head I may need to watch out for when developing plugins that could be used externally outside of the editor? To give you a heads up, all my plugins are part of the Runtime category. Thanks again Jon

Hmmm… interesting and thanks for jumping in here BorodMorod with an idea to resolve this! If I’m not mistaken, I think that’s the button to unblock a given file. I’ll try this but Jon, have you or the team had to do this internally due to permissions on the DLLs out of curiosity?

I don’t think so. I personally haven’t.

You need to have your plugins in a folder called ‘Plugins’ in the project folder. That should be all you need to do (other than enabling them in the engine).

Hmmm… I actually did that last night and it didn’t seem to work. If I’m not mistaken, I think Visual Studio failed to compile them correctly when they were in that. Let me go try that again and see if I can get it to compile. I’ll reach back out shortly with an update…

Gotcha, thanks. I’m going to go try to make the plugins local again now and see if that works.

Okay Jon, I have an update for you. Interesting enough, that same new issue with the editor crashing after having the Launch Output Log Window open just happened again. I’m going to create a new issue on here about this and link it shortly but I was trying to copy text from the log so you could see some but it looked like as if all my plugins except one, build correctly. I’m going to re-launch the editor and try to grab that section of the log before it attempts to crash again and see if maybe there is a specific issue regarding a plugin where it works inside the editor but won’t externally. Hmm… let me see if I can copy the text and I’ll be right back. I’ll also start another thread right now regarding the freezing issue.

I’ll have to try this again but Jon, I am not able to copy the text in a quick enough time before it fails. Here is the link to the new topic…

Alright, so after trying to move the plugins locally, it looks as though my Saitek X52 Pro Plugin isn’t compiling normally. This may have something to do with the issue I am experiencing. The weird part though, all the errors are coming from the line “GENERATE_UCLASS_BODY()” in my custom class. It’s saying things like…

Error 1 error C2065: ‘P_FINISH’ : undeclared identifier
Error 2 error C2275: ‘UIntProperty’ : illegal use of this type as an expression
Error 3 error C2065: ‘Page’ : undeclared identifier
Error 4 error C3861: ‘P_GET_PROPERTY’: identifier not found Error 5 error C2275: ‘UByteProperty’ : illegal use of this type as an expression
Error 6 error C2065: ‘StringID’ : undeclared identifier

The above are parameter names for some of the parameters in my functions but I’m clueless as to why it’s not properly compiling.

I’m going to try to delete my intermediate and binary folders of that plugin and rebuild to see if this gets better but this could very well be an issue due to a change from 4.4.3 and I’ll let you know if that happens to work.

Nope, it unfortunately didn’t resolve it but it’s all pointing at the GENERATED_UCLASS_BODY(). When you get a chance, let me know what you think is the right thing to do to resolve this.

I’ve resolved the issue. Took me a while but I found it. The funny thing was when my plugin was associated with the Engine source, it never showed these errors before and actually worked fine but it led all the way down to my ISaitekX52ProPlugin interface having a declared “ISaitekX52Pro.h” when I needed to remove that back during 4.3 but forgot to. I did it for all my other plugins but looks like it went under the radar. Aside from that, I am going to create another issue since I can’t seem to Launch anything but the level that is current (unless that’s by design), or at least can add other levels to cook to the process. I’ll check the documentation first before creating it to see if that’s mentioned but other than that, this issue is now resolved and thanks for taking the time to help out Jon. Much appreciated.

Glad to hear you got things working! I’ve marked this one Resolved.