Announcing Section 6 of Survival Game - Adding some polish

Building a new coop level to match the intention of this series…open world. It’s built to run the coop gamemode with day/night cycle that grant score rewards etc. If you wish to simply go free for all open world w/o scoring, an open world gamemode class is available too.

Early shot:

5a39df63504777c592bf158b39d24f043b0e186c.jpeg

The 4.8 character is coming to GitHub soon! Working on the updated animation blueprint.

Looks great !, with this final work, I have not doubt that your samples project will be ‘AAA SurvivalGame Sample’. Only one question, Where can we ask the new doubts, once you have finished your project ?. Great work along those 6 sections.

Good news, thank !

This is one of the best sample games ever made! Now that you are so far already it would be a shame not to add more stuff :). How about a few weeks brake and then add ~50 players support and persistence ? (DayZ Epoch style) I’m sure there are a lot of devs out there wondering how the best approach would be on doing this!
Embrace the challenge, you can do it! Please! :slight_smile:

Thanks IceDealer! Perhaps I’ll get to do that some day, I’ll be working on completely news things in the foreseeable future though. :slight_smile:

The docs for Section 6 are up! A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums

And so is the source on GitHub…!

I never thought the default hi-res models could look so sexy… Dang!

Thank , i’m glad Section 6 is here!

I just started making my first prototype game based on your stuff but will not be a zombie survival game, i want to use your resources because contains a lot of good stuff and concept usable for a large kind of games and this is awesome :slight_smile:

Thanks , huge learing resource here. Really happy to studying it. Cheers from Argentina

This last part is a bit more disappointing as there’s not real headlight to read and I’m too lazy to check out source code.
But thank you for this excellent tutorial serie! It will probably help kickstart a lot of projects

You’re the man !

I have been using your code as well as the ShooterGame as learning resource for my own project.
The target of my project is a true person shooter (while yours is 3the person and the shooter game is first person)

One of the things im strugling with is the “targetting”, so to line up the weapon scope with the eye view.
So i was wondering what it takes to turn the survival game from a 3the person shooter into a true person shooter. Setting the camera is rather easy, but the targetting part is something i see many questions about on these forums and no real answers.
I did not put much time in trying to get the targetting working as im mainly using a 3the person camera in my project for testing purposes.

Can u (or anyone else) make a small tutorial/example for this?

I know this is addressed to , but I would have a weapon class that has it’s own camera, line it up as you wish and simply switch from your player camera to the weapons camera using ‘SetViewTargetWithBlend()’. (I’ve not tried it myself but I expect it would work quite well)

ShooterGame does support 3rd person with “behindview” as a console command. It’s not a fully rich implementation, but if you were to compare my 3rd person weapon code with shootergame, you’ll see only a small difference (with their having functions like IsFirstPerson() to determine which of the two meshes to display and whether to attach the mesh to the first or third person character etc.

In shootergame the alignment of the weapon mesh with the crosshair is done by playing an AnimMontage that moves the hands up, you’d have to adjust the first person mesh position to match the weapon ironsight with the center of the camera. So in that scenario the camera does nothing except for zooming the FOV (as is implemented in the survival’s PlayerCameraManager already)

I tried the SetViewTargetWithBlend, but can’t get it working correctly.

Found this solution while ago in this topic: Aiming True FPS problem. - General Discussion - Unreal Engine Forums
But im facing the same issue as in the moview, that im loosing control of pitch when targeting.

The creator of the topic replied to me in PM with his solution. He is using the WorldRotation of the camera, but i havent figured out how to get the used camera (yet)
Would prefer to change the GetAimOffset method to obtain the correct aim pitch.

Hello question. I downloaded the github version but the zombies are just standing still. They are only coming when I walk very close near by. Arent the suppose to partrol at least?!?

Is this survival game multiplayer?

I noticed this too, still have to find some time to debug why this is happening. The intend is that they move around at night and are idle during the day.

Yes you can play it co-op. There is a simple main menu available to host and join a friend.

can you please fix it?

Hey .

Thanks for amazing Tutorial Series.

Just a one issue that i’ve been facing for days and could’t figure it out yet;

When you run on “Dedicated Server”, fire animations does not replicated to the clients. Whereas “On Equip” does. Any suggestions?