Announcing Fab, an Evolution of the Unreal Engine Marketplace

The Quixel blog post about Fab can be found here, though it doesn’t contain an answer to your question. Our various storefronts will continue to share more information as we get closer to the full launch later this year. I suggest watching the Quixel blog to stay on top of future information.

So UE Marketplace sellers will compete directly with artstation, Sketchfab and quixel. So no one is going to sell anything. In the end of the day, Epic Games will sell more assets with UEFN launch, but individualy, sellers will sell less because the sales will be diluted with the market fusion.

1 Like

I can already see the chaos this will lead to, with people being confused by the multiple systems this marketplace will be for. But let’s see, maybe it will be okay.

Still I have the following questions:

1. Will you do anything against AI-generated content flooding your new marketplace - thus making it impossible for 2D artists to sell their assets, as they just get drowned like it currently happens in the Unreal marketplace?
    This is especially a problem as you are going to merge the Unreal and the Artstation marketplace, which both have a problem with AI generated assets.

2. What will you do to prevent assets with stolen content being sold, as it is happening so often right now on the Unreal marketplace?

3. What will you do against the abuse of reviews, best example 5 star reviews solely for Discord support access?

4. Will this finally lead to a new, modern launcher for Unreal Engine developers that does NOT run on Unreal Engine? Having a new, shiny marketplace for assets is dandy, but managing our assets is still a pain.

7 Likes

Sketchfab & Quixel have existing integrations with other engines & tools, was there any mention of Fab getting official, well-maintained integrations with software like Godot or Unity? Would these integrations be open-source?

Will a Fab API/SDK be available for creating alternative clients or 3rd party integrations e.g. into Blender?

1 Like

The FAB website says that it will be multi-engine, multi-platform. So what I understand by that is that you can buy assets there and use them in Unity, for example. How will this work? Will there be some sort of converter for our UE assets?

People are right to be concerned. When I created my first 3D model to sell, I put it on the Unreal Marketplace and the Unity Store. In 2 years I sold less than 10 units in Unity, but much more in Unreal. I think it’s because of the amount of assets available in Unity. If we mix Artstation, Sketchfab, UE etc. in one shop + we allow easy integration for other game engines, FAB will become a gigantic asset store where only big studios like Dekogon will have a chance to exist.

4 Likes

Is it possible to sumbit assets to sell on Fab for Fortnite or its invite only for now? I am asking because some sellers already have their packs available there

1 Like

Hello Unreal_Josh!

I’m a creator with over 120 products on the Unreal Engine Marketplace and I’m very happy with this FAB it looks amazing and seems to fix many limitations of the current store, congrats to the whole team!

But if possible I would like to ask some questions:

1. How will the licenses work for those who have already purchased products in the various stores?

A. Will the customer find the products bought in other stores available for free on FAB?
B. If yes, what kind of licence? (Personal, Professional etc…)

1. I sell assets on multiple stores, both on Artstation Store and Unreal Engine Store, how will the migration be handled in this case?
  1. I saw in some screenshots that some assets had a “Unity” tag, does this mean that it will be possible to sell assets for engines other than Unreal Engine as well?
  1. What happens to Unreal Engine Store, will disappear and be completely replaced by FAB? Will FAB be integrated into the Epic Games launcher?
  1. Will the product approval system change? Will all currently published assets need to be re-approved?

I know that maybe some information will arrive later but if it is possible to have some anticipation, even if only conceptual, it would help a lot to prepare for FAB;

Thanks in advance for any kind of response, love Epic :heart:

2 Likes
  1. Currently the Unreal Marketplace has a very liberal license for users who use the UnrealEngine. Once bought and I can use it for my projects. The license is simple and easy to use. What will happen to it? Or will there be several different licenses like it is the case on ArtStation currently (private, commercial, extended etc.) which is not very attractive for me being a small indie developer and I guess that is the case for many others as well?

2. The Unreal Marketplace has a lot of non-art content like blueprints, plugins, etc. Will that stay?

3. Will there still be the free for the month stuff?
    Edit: Read it on the FAQ already, NOT very promising in my opinion

4. Will it be still possible to install/import content directly into the editor/engine through the plugin?

I guess all these 4 points are a reason why especially indie developers are using the UnrealEngine.

2 Likes

Will FAB be free for those who use Unreal?

Interesting would be - and I guess that is the reason the original poster of that question had in mind - stays quixel content free for UnrealEngine users? Stays MetaHuman content free for UnrealEngine users? Or will users of UnrealEngine not have a single advantage anymore?

2 Likes

I couldn’t barely had any rest since yesterday’s anouncement! .- Equally excited and scaried of the potential consequences. I’ll draw few quick thoughs that I’d like to clarify in the coming months as some questions are yet to be disclosed, but well, as I’m sure that this thread will be thoroughly revised by the UE team, here are my notes:

• Please, do your best to keep and carry our current ratings to the new store. I’ve worked very hard to earn each of my stars, and I’ve a lot of reviews that emphazises my quality and expertise on the subject. Those cann’t be lost in the cloud.

• Do your best also to clarify some sort of veteran / newcomer sellers. I’ve been active since 6 years ago, and I think I would be present at least on my seller profile page.

• Visibility, VISIBILITY, visibility! .- I sell on most prominent marketplaces. Well, its sure that without the unreal engine marketplace umbrella, I wouldnt be able to kickstart my career. Sales figures on other marketplaces are ridiculous compared with the income I receive on the current UE marketplace. So again, visibility!

I’d be more than happy to discuss more about this, but for now… I think I’ve had enought excitement for 24 hours. Thanks and wish the best outcome for FAB

5 Likes

+1 one on this.
It took me years of hard work, support and dedication to gather all those good reviews and they really help with the sales. Losing them would be a disaster for many sellers. For some of us it’s the biggest concern about this transition.

3 Likes

There will be more sellers in the ecosystem, but there’s also a much larger potential audience. There will still be value in having content that is UE ready and easy for UE devs to use.

I think there’s a place for AI generated content in Fab, just as there is currently in UE Marketplace. Marketplace, ArtStation, and Sketchfab all require that sellers identify when AI is used in content creation, and Fab will provide strong discovery tools to help buyers find the type of content they want.

We’re not going to announce the details of the Fab review system yet, but we know that ownership verification is important to sellers, just as the legitimacy of reviews are important. The two things should not be intertwined. Also, the use of 5 star reviews just for ownership verification for discord is not allowed on UE Marketplace, and can be reported.

We want to make asset management easy and convenient, no matter what tools a customer is using. Fab is engine agnostic, so acquiring and managing content won’t be limited to the current UE experience.

There will be more information to come, but we will have integrations with other tools. From the Fab.com FAQ: “Fab will be an open marketplace, offering content for a broad set of content creation tools, game engines, open worlds, and metaverse platforms. Native integrations and API connectivity to leading content creation tools will bring speed and agility to world building.”

We’ll have more details on this prior to launch, but we’ll accept a variety of file formats for assets, and want to make this process as easy as possible for existing sellers.

Thanks for your interest. Right now it’s invitation only for the Fab UEFN Plugin, but we plan to work with more sellers as we prepare to launch and have updated tools for sellers to prep their content.

That’s all I have time to answer right now. For those of you at GDC, I’m working at the Fab booth, so swing by and say ‘hi.’

3 Likes

It sounds great! Thank you very much. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I can predict that one day when everybody millions of people be using FAB, the ownership will be sold and the business model will change the formula and the % of revenue or else like what is happening with Twitter?

I attempted to sell my products on both ArtStation and Sketchfab without any luck, but I’ve been able to earn some money on the UE Marketplace. So, what makes the UE Marketplace different? For starters, it’s curated, which means that it prevents subpar developers from publishing products. This results in a smaller pool of products, but buyers are more likely to trust the quality of what is available and ultimately make more purchases. Additionally, sellers cannot simply create a product and start selling it like other marketplaces. The products must meet certain asset requirements, which also helps to reduce the number of products available for sale. Unlike other stores, the UE Marketplace is not a reputation-based platform that gives veteran sellers more visibility. This gives new sellers an equal opportunity to compete with established sellers who have been on the platform for years. However, with Epic Games planning to merge all of their marketplaces, it’s uncertain whether the UE Marketplace will remain the same.

4 Likes

Congrats on the announcement! We’re sure this will bring many great things to both creators and consumers. :partying_face:

We have a question regarding your plans to support businesses selling on Fab, more specifically how are you planning on handling the professional license and to what extent creators will be able to customize their licenses. Especially interesting to us is the maximum price for a professional license.

Cheers!

1 Like

Very exciting stuff, Josh! I’m sure you and the team have worked hard on this and have a lot of hard work in front of you, so best of luck on that :slight_smile:

I’ll add my plea to the ones above that your team please does everything it can to bring the existing reviews and questions along when assets are moved over to Fab.

2 Likes

As a content creator. There is no justification for this work for me. Epic should explain the benefits of this to its partners. Integration of markets, each of which has its own characteristics. Why do you want to convert the market to a place to greatly reduce quality control? These markets have nothing in common that they want to merge together. Epic Games, as a company that employs many people, should consult before making such moves. and try to convince people with complete details. Sometimes doing nothing is the best thing to do. please stop

4 Likes

We’ll have more information in the future, but if you’ve already acquired content, you’ll still be able to access it, and it will be under the license you acquired it.

We plan to give sellers control in bringing their content over. For some users, it may make sense to consolidate under one listing, though for others they might offer slightly different things, and it might make sense for them to exist separately.

Yes, we intend for Fab to be engine agnostic. While there will be a place for uassets and UE devs, we will also have content that can be used in other tools.

We’ll eventually sunset UE Marketplace, and all purchasing will take place in Fab. We will work with sellers to help them prepare to bring their content over. We’ll have details in the future about how we’re integrated and discoverable in the broader Epic ecosystem.

We’ll continue to review content, and we expect it to remain largely unchanged, though we do want to streamline the process wherever we can. Sellers will also be able to have individual content listings, so it will be possible to submit a single prop rather than meet minimum content requirements.

-We plan to allow several license options available. This will give sellers more flexibility to set prices that meet the needs of both indies and large enterprise organization.
-Fab will continue to support everything you find on UE Marketplace, including blueprints, plugins, and audio.
-We plan to continue to make free content available, though the focus won’t just be on uassets.

Yes.

We’re working towards a system that captures past feedback and the reputation that sellers have earned. We will need to reconcile that with integrating other storefronts, and we want to provide an easy and intuitive way to provide products. We’ll have more information on this prior to launch.

It’s something that we’re looking into. We want to recognize past performance, but we also want to be inviting to new sellers.

We plan to make it easy find the type of high quality content that’s compatible with UE like we have today on UE Marketplace. We don’t want UE devs to struggle to find what they need, and we want them to be able to continue to buy with confidence that what they get will work within UE.

1 Like

Hey, @Unreal_Josh.

Thanks for your time to respond us. I have some questions that I hope someone else does as well:

1. Will sellers have tools to schedule their promotions instead of the current system (which, sorry, is pretty primitive) where we need to send emails to schedule?

2. Will sellers be able to create discount coupons for their products?

3. Will the migration occur naturally without us having to go through all the bureaucratic part of payments again?

Thanks!

1 Like