Anim Montage won't play

Post the node that plays it…
Ans the montage for the sequence structure.

Most common silly thing is a looping montage that never ends…

Because its on a slot, it keeps your lower animations working if you loop it, making look like the uppper body is doing somrthing relevant.
In reality its probably just stuck in the montage, i would guess…

This is the event that causes the fuss… as you can see, I disabled the Play Anim Montage node that screws everything up.

This is the montage in question…

And the animation itself…

I dont see sections and it doesn’t seem set to loop…

Off hand i’d delete the montage and re-create it.
That way you know it isnt at fault somehow.

The abimation doesnt really matter, but…
You shpuld be exportong stuff at 30fps to have a reasonable amount of keyd frames/less data in your project.

Unreal doesnt have fps on animations, everything in the system is interpolated, so you could even run 3 frames in 1 second and the animation would still be smooth (even if linear).

If the animation is already 30fps, then idk why its so many frames, but ot doesnt really matter so long as it eventually finishes or the montage clips it out…

I will need to look at the animations, most of which came from the marketplace.

Had a very similar issue to this, something that had popped up every now and again over the months. Slots etc all set up and working, all other montages on the characters would work except the problem one (and the problem montage in question, when called in isolation, would work!). Debug etc shows everything being called as it should be, but the montage just doesn’t play.

For me, it was hit reactions / taking damage. It would fine on some enemies, not at all on others. All had the same parent BP.

And the problem was indeed the montage getting overridden - a rogue bit of ‘prototyping’ code in the Parent BP from eons ago was calling another function and overriding everything. Nothing played in newer enemies created as they had different skeletons.

Would have to agree with MostHost - from what I’ve read, it’s more than likely something like this… Not sure how the draw weapon / stance comes into it, but it would be the first place I’d be checking my code!

1 Like

If you are like me can’t figure out why additive anim montages doesnt work well check that in your additive animation you use itself animation as base pose animation