Android Deployment on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

So I double-checked the Platforms-Android section, I don’t have Support OpenGL ES31+AEP checked, it looks like your screenshot.

Thank you for pointing out the environment variables, everything looks in order, but see what you think:

User Variables:
ANDROID_HOME - E:NVPACK\android-sdk-windows
ANDROID_NDK_ROOT - E:\NVPACK\android-ndk-r10d
ANT_HOME - E:\NVPACK\apache-ant-1.8.2
JAVA_HOME - E:\NVPACK\jdk1.7.0_71
NDK_ROOT - E:\NVPACK\android-ndk-r10d
NDKROOT - E:\NVPACK\android-ndk-r10d
NVPACK_NDK_VERSION - android-ndk-r10d

Little concerned about how many times NDK is referenced, but could be normal.

Yeah, that looks correct. The only thing I can advise is to go through the document and double check that your NVPACK folder contains all the ‘must haves’ that are listed in the documentation, like C:\NVPACK\android-sdk-windows must contain a folder called platform-tools, C:\NVPACK\jdkXXXX must contain a directory called bin with javac.exe in, etc.

One thing that occurs is (and I should have asked this earlier, sorry), what is the OS version you’re running on your Tab? If it’s anything less than 4.4, you’re gonna need to back your API down. Here’s the Android documentation on that. I see that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 lite comes out of the box with 4.2, which would be 17. You could even back your ‘Minimum SDK Version’ in Platforms - Android settings all the way down to ‘android-9’ which I believe is the minimum for which UE4 can develop.

After that do you mind (after a ‘just to be on the safe side’ restart of your computer) packaging Tappy one more time for development and ETC1 and deploying to your Tab and giving me fresh output and logcat logs? I want to see if I can spot anything new or different.

That’s some good information, I’m saving that link for the Android versions. It’s running 4.2.2

I reviewed the folders that the environment variables were pointed to based on the documentation and had a friend double-check everything, everything is present.

I dropped it down to android-17 and rebooted. Still crashes. For kicks, I dropped it down to android-16, but same result unfortunately.link text

So in reviewing my Output Log during building, here a re some warnings, not sure if they would be responsible:

Warning: Failed to load font data from '…/…/…/Engine/Content/Slate/Fonts/Roboto-Italic.ttf

Warning: MetaData mismatch. Did you assign a stat to two groups? New //STATGROUP_Threads//FLauncherTask///Thread_10f4_0///////STATCAT_Advanced//// old //STATGROUP_Threads//FLauncherTask///Thread_176c_0

Hi RedLine,

So I was able to locate a device with the Vivante GC1000 GPU, and tried a development build of Tappy, and I was able to reproduce your crash. According to logcat it got a little farther so we got some more info, but it still didn’t work.

I spoke to the Android dev about, and he advised that it looks like a driver issue, but it may ultimately be that the GPU does not support multithreading.

So, the last thing I can recommend before we declare this device/GPU unsupported is, see if you can update the OS any further than it is, and then try to run Tappy from the Google Play store.

If you do those things, and you are still seeing the same crash, then we will have determined definitively that the GC1000 does not work.

Good luck!

Thank you for chasing this down, it’s been a learning experience.

So after doing further research, it seems there is in fact differences with the Lite version of the Galaxy Tab 3. After verifying the firmware and OS version is up-to-date, I cannot upgrade the Lite version past 4.2.2, the regular Tab 3 can go to 4.4.2 (Kitkat) it seems however.

I then downloaded Tappy Chicken from the Play store and it crashes, it got further than where I was today (after I updated Google Play Services), but it crashed nonetheless. So it would appear that this version is unsupported. Hate admitting defeat. Thank you for all your effort, you were a great support!

hey, glad I could help. Thanks for hanging in there!

Guess my response earlier didn’t get posted.

So I verified that the OS version has the latest version, as well as firmware, all are up to date. One thing I discovered is that while Samsung has an android version for the Galaxy Tab 3 to go to 4.4.2, the Lite is stuck as 4.2.2 and probably any kind of driver update to support multi-threading I’m assuming.

I downloaded Tappy Chicken from the Play store and after updating my Google Play Services, Tappy Chicken crashes. It seems to have gotten further, but crashes nonetheless. So I guess after all this, it’s safe to conclude that the Galaxy Tab 3 Lite (SM-T110) is Unsupported. Hate to admit defeat, but the silver lining is that this has broadened my knowledge on proper environment setup and additional troubleshooting. Thank you very much for your support, you’ve been extremely helpful and patient, it’s very much appreciated.

Are there any news about this issue? A Galaxy Tab3 Lite (goyawifi) user reported that game crashes on startup.