Alright wizards, I need help with a new computer...

Well I’m making the statement that GHz isn’t the sole determining factor, and a higher clock speed doesn’t mean faster on it’s own.

Instead, the amount of work that can be done per cycle combined with clock speed is what is important.

If the amount of work the processor does per cycle is the exact same as another, then clock speed is much more important- otherwise you should compare clock speed AND work per cycle.

Edit:
Looking at your latest build

CPU, RAM, PSU and Keyboard/Mouse are fine.
I’d change out that 1TB SSD for a ~200GB SSD and two 2TB HDD for storage. While true that your OS drive should be an SSD, having the two HDD gives you a lot more space and flexibility and 200GB gives you enough room on the SSD to have your current projects on the faster drive.

980Ti could be replaced with the new card that’s coming out, but you won’t suffer for it if you don’t want to wait. If you need a CD Drive, no harm in it, but you won’t need it for OS install. Only get it if you really want a CD Drive. Network card is probably not needed, check the motherboard. As others have said, get multi monitors over a single monitor. You may consider getting Windows 10 Pro but I use Home and haven’t had any ill effects yet.

AMD and Intel are different architectures, the Ghz speed aren’t the same. Same for the cores, the cores of AMD processors aren’t the same as Intel.

Thanks, I’m learning something. I’ve based purchasing CPU’s solely on clock speed.

I think you can compare them within the same brand–so you can compare Ghz/cores to other AMD processors, but if you want to compare Intel to AMD you need to look at benchmarks.

It’s the same architecture- not even the same socket/brand.

So you could compare an i7 4770 and an i7 4790 by clock speed (I think) but not an i7 6700.

Just like you can’t directly compare FX Series and A10 Series.

I guess it’s just a number for marketing then. Kind of like finding out Santa Clause isn’t real. Definitely changes what I’ll do when I build my next box.

I did have a question about the cooler, if it was under-kill, overkill or about right?

I guess it depends on if youre going to overclock the CPU or not, generally youll want to get an aftermarket CPU cooler. The 5820K is CPU meant to be overclocked, and it doesnt come with a CPU cooler, but if you keep it at stock settings I doubt you would need such a high end cooler.

If you go with Intel CPUs, the stock fan/cooler that comes with the CPU is just fine, unless you’re going to try to overclock it.
Overclocking can be quite interesting as a hobby in itself, but if you’re not looking for it as a new hobby, stay with stock and save yourself the trouble.

The Retina Macbook is fine RAM and CPU wise, but the Iris Pro simply isn’t enough for Unreal Engine development. In fact, Apple has no MacBook that has enough graphics for anything “real.”
If you want a similar form factor, you could consider the 2016 Razer Blade: http://.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade
For $2k it’s an alright laptop. WIsh it had 32 GB RAM, though. Also, the upgrade to a larger SSD is worth it.

I’d say you don’t need it, but it provides nice headroom for overclocking. Be sure to get some cooler as I don’t think the 5820K will come with it’s own.

The 5820K and above don’t come with a cooler so you have to get one of some kind. You would probably be fine going with one of the cheaper ones, you might even have an issue fitting that into your case with the double fan width. Not all cases will have a place you could fit that.

Hello for a first time post in forum. Got an i7 in an HP SFF with 16gb ram and am wondering what’s the best graphics card I can throw in it to run the engine without breaking the bank. Planning on running . Not really familiar with this program, but I’ve worked with GIS and Sketchup to give an idea of what I’d like to do.

Really just depends on your budget

Yeah, lots of good options for graphics cards. The new nVidia GTX 1080 looks like the best option currently, though it’s pricy. The 1070 isn’t quite as good but significantly cheaper if you can find it. Then there’s the older series like the GTX 970 or 980, which are still pretty good. AMD’s also has some offerings that may be worth looking at, though I’m not familiar with their lineup. Keep in mind that you can’t really compare specs between brands (or even architectures) except for vram, so look for real world benchmarks instead.