AI Generated Assets on the Marketplace?

This video does a much better job that I can at explaining what the issue is here. It is information dense, but it gives very good reasons and responses to some of the questions raised in this thread. If you can spare a moment to watch it, it’s very worth it.

1 Like

Could you please paraphrase this into some quick, pertinent points?

2 Likes

Main point against that vid, actually… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another AI vs artist video (done for views on YT as this is hot topic nowadays). But let’s not turn this thread into AI vs artist thread - let’s just keep it on topic. What is/should be the policy for UE marketplace with regards to AI generated assets?

One month ago I was totally convinced AI is like a cancer
I decided to try, and today I say I was so wrong…

My project is almost ready for testing if someone wants to see how is going
Discord: AlbertoTrunk#7305

Aren’t sellers selling repackaged collections of A.I. generated images in violation of Epic’s Marketplace Distribution Agreement?

2. Your Content

b. You represent and warrant that you have all intellectual property rights necessary for you to grant Epic the rights set forth in this Agreement, including all necessary patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights, in and to your Content.

To the best of my understanding - someone please correct me here if I have this wrong - it doesn’t appear that sellers own the rights to content created by A.I. generated imagery. Chapter 306 in the Compendium of the U.S. Copyright Office Practises explicitly states that copyright can only be assigned to a human creator.

If A.I. content is used as an inspiration tool for artists to create their own work, that would be one thing. However, that’s not what’s happening here. These sellers are simply generating images and selling them unaltered.

It also stands to reason that allowing sellers to flood the market with collections of unaltered A.I. images may hurt Epic’s market by drowning out sellers creating their own content.

@Unreal_Josh @TJ_V Could we get some input on this? Is a conversation being had on this?

2 Likes
3 Likes

As other users have said, this implementation of A.I. tools shouldn’t be an issue. Presumably, the editor here owns a license to the beach image. A human took this photograph so they’re entitled to the copyright.

What sellers are doing on the marketplace is entirely different. These sellers are repackaging images created entirely by A.I. tools.

1 Like

I totally agree

2 Likes

Hey there!

As a new seller on the Marketplace, I thought I should make some type of statement here in this thread with what I posted using Midjourney. I’m not trying to defend or say how “great” my asset pack is, it’s just me with some ramblings from a grumpy old dude!

I left my images untouched for two reasons, first and foremost I have basically no idea on how to use any type of photo editing software, yeah I can change the shade of the photos and easy stuff like that, but to do a deep editing…nope I don’t know how. The other reason, is because I don’t know photo editing I thought why not let the purchaser do that. Yeah I guess I’m just being lazy to learn how, but having to learn a lot of what to do in UE5 and other software to make a game, having to learn photo editing is NOT a top priority for me.

As for Midjourney, and maybe why Epic is letting us post the images “without” a copyright, I do know that each image that I (and others) make with Midjourney we each get a unique ID number for each image that is made, so maybe that ID number is enough for Epic to allow us to post them. And with Epic I also had to show that I’m a paid member of Midjourney.

Also for those that say that Midjourney (and others like it) are free….they are NOT free. Yes you do get some “free time/amount” that you can use, but for Midjourney the minimum is $10 a month and you are only allowed 200 images a month (you can buy more “time”). But for most, including myself, I paid $30 for the month for unlimited amount, but you are still not able to “download” a thousand images a day, once you get to a certain amount of images (I think 300), your time is set to slow and it takes quite a bit longer to get more images a day!

And thank you Uncle_Fred for your “Question” in my post, that brought me here AGAIN to see how people REALLY feel about AI Generated Art! I am NOT an “artist” I have enough problems with drawing stick people…lol! So I use the incredible Midjourney program to make some “art”. And speaking of art, I know some of you are totally against AI art; “It’s NOT real art”, but then I think of this piece of “Art Work" that fetched a cool $120K, it’s all about perspective…um…right?

One last thing, I would have made my images FREE here on the Marketplace, but I cannot, the minimum is $4.99. Really I just thought that for those that don’t have the time to use an AI program and for others that would like some reference photos of, in my case, some great (and some NOT so great) images of faces. I made them for everyone here on the Marketplace to have/use, I really don’t care about the money. If there is someplace to share them with views I get here on the Marketplace (for good or bad), please let me know.

Thanks
Sam

FAITH BASED GAMES

P.S. Thank you again Uncle_Fred for your reviews on the Marketplace, if I see yours and a couple of other people that give 5 Star reviews on asset packs, I KNOW I should pick them up!

1 Like

So let me get this straight - Epic did ask you directly for proof that you are paying for Miidjourney?

1 Like

Yes, they did!

1 Like

That actually resolves my questions in the first post about Epic’s stance on this one. They are OK with this and even verify if you have the rights assigned from Midjourney (as free tire is creative commons for Midjourney).

btw. If you have at least semi-decent GPU - look into Stable Diffusion, it’s free and after a bit of practice you can generate images as good (or better, art is subjective) than with Midjourney :slight_smile:

Edit: and google ctrl+paint. Photoshop is not that difficult to learn :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes when they asked for proof I thought OK we are good to go!

Yes I have looked into Stable Diffusion, as a open source to use…but me being lazy…MEH!

I know that there are good photo editing software out there (I use…um…try to use) Affinity Photo. But for me it’s like work in UE5 for a few hours then chill doing some MJ photos.

For me even though I am retired, it’s just that there still doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day to do everything I would like…you know, like work in UE5…take a nap…work with MJ…take a nap…eat…take a nap…LOL…:joy:

1 Like

I heard good things about Affinity Photo :+1:

I wonder why Epic staff doesn’t chime in here to close this topic with final statement on this :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes it is a GREAT program…I mainly use Affinity Designer!

I did report Uncle_Fred’s post (question) on my Marketplace pack…but I made it as to be a question for them and hopefully get back to us!

What I put in the report:

This does NOT have any thing to do with anything bad in this “question”, but I too, as a seller, would like to know if what Uncle Fred has stated in this post is something we all need to have a definitive answer for.

I know I certainly don’t want ANYONE to get into trouble for using what I’m selling here on the Marketplace, as I’m sure you don’t want to as well.

Is there some type of statement that ALL of us need to know about using AI generated images and selling them here on the Marketplace?

Thanks!

Sam

FAITH BASED GAMES

P.S. These images were created using Midjourney AI Generation program.

1 Like

Hello FaithBasedGames,

Arguably, I have been a bit of a pain for sellers of this content. For that, I apologize. No doubt, you and a couple of others are unhappy about this. I feel it’s worth the temporary pain considering this is one of those cases where the interests of a seller may directly conflict with the interests of buyers. I’d be happy to take down the comment on your post once we get clarification from Epic.

2 Likes

Here is the License of the AI model:

4 Likes

Nope, not at all unhappy with what you wrote about the images I have on the Marketplace. I was actually looking forward to hopefully getting the ball into Epic’s court so that we can have some type of statement/assurance so everyone is covered so that there will NOT be any type of copyright infringement/lawsuit/or whatever.

With what you wrote here today hopefully this can/will get noticed!

1 Like