Adventures in UE5 vehicle land

A plane sim was pretty straight forward in UE4 using a simple vehicle sim for the plane’s wheels. Since there is no chaos version of physx’s simple vehicle it’s not surprising there are issues… hopefully they will implement some version of that in the future.

Wheels aside, a lot of it pretty much carried straight over. Physics asset, animation bp and all seemed pretty much unchanged.

Issues:

Wheels: Right now the only chaos wheeled vehicle sim requires 4 wheels while we only want 3. Since the first two wheels are considered in the front I tried making the 2nd wheel use the same bone as the first one, to mirror turning and spinning animations and physics. For whatever reason the front wheel doesn’t turn with steering but it does roll just fine. I’ve also tried setting wheel 2 to the engines turbine bone which should be higher than the other wheels and solve some potential issues with it. It made it spin but didn’t fix any physics.

Center Of Mass: A big problem is that the COM adjustments don’t seem to work as expected.

v=rH6Vv3yh-8o

This is with the mesh component’s Center Of Mass Offset (X=200,Y=0,Z=20). Since it’s wanting to do wheelies (pointing nose up) it seems the COM is too far back. As I move it up 250 units at a time, it gets a little better each time until it starts bouncing around. It seems there’s no way to get it to act right.

v=DXH6EIOd-x8

As far as I can tell this is the only COM setting that actually does anything but it doesn’t get the needed/expected results. There doesn’t seem to be many options left at this point in time, but I’m probably going to use the plane’s mesh for a car sim and see how far I can get.

2 Likes