Advanced Climbing System

In that case, even more impressive. Nice work!

Looks great.

I would strongly suggest you add the upward scramble/vine climb to your “to do” list because it would open up so much more of level geometry to exploration without needing to make the upward jumps - talking as a climber it’s rare to do upward jumps/leaps of any great distance as this is not realistic - it’s energy inefficient and dangerous!

My game needs this realism so if it was added then I’d be a DEFINATE buyer.

Cost? Well for the time it would save me I’d say it’s worth $100+, but I think your rationale of lower price equating to more sales is solid.

Good luck and I hope you take my comments seriously as I’d love a good reason to buy this!

Regards

Slinky

Bugmee… your progress is looking terrific, superb job. I’m eagerly awaiting this… USD 30 is a flipping bargain :smiley:

I like the look of this a lot.

If the BP’s are well commentated and really easy learning material. I would purchase it.

I know a few people are saying $100+ and I don’t want to be That Guy… But there is a climbing system on the market place at the price of $150 and I think you would have more success selling around the $30-$40 mark initially and slowly increasing the price.

One of the most successful packs on the Marketplace was (is??) Generic Shooter and that started at very low price and gradually worked its way up. It is one of the most advance packs I’ve seen in terms of code and Blueprints communicating with each other. Best learning resource I have had on UE4.

Because it’s Blueprints and not a plugin I would even buy it early on a website like Selfy/Gumroad because I would adapt the code to suit my needs anyways. Unsure If it is going to Multiplayer compatible but I would also need to go over the code and replicate the necessary parts for Multiplayer.

If you do set up a shop with it, let us know.

What about jumping backwards and grabbing a ledge behind like Tomb Raider?

Btw, how does it know which ledge to jump to?

I have not implemented a functionality like that, but theoretically it shouldn’t be all too hard to implement (providing the animations don’t make any trouble)

There are different situations, in which it behaves differently. When jumping up to a ledge, it chooses whichever ledge is farthest away. However you can set some limits, for example max-distance and min-distance. The system then chooses whichever ledge is farthest away, but still within range of max-distance and min-distance. That means that the ledge’s distance to you has to be bigger than min-distance but smaller than max-distance. When you hop down to a ledge however, the system chooses whichever ledge is nearest to you. You can set some limits here as well (max-distance, min-distance etc.). When hopping between ledges sideways, the system chooses the nearest ledge as well. Theoretically you could invert each of these behaviour types by swapping the start and end variables. That way when before the farthest ledge was chosen, now the nearest ledge will be chosen.

Update:

Good news for all you vine enthusiasts. Vine support is being implemented. So far most of the basic movements for vine climbing have been implemented (such as climbing up, down, right and left and climbing from vine to ledge), but there are still some aspects I haven’t covered yet and that need be covered.
As for the climbing up to a surface, I have done my best but I just somehow can’t seem to get the animations to look the way I want. If you have any suggestions, I would be glad about any tips, tricks and help I can get :slight_smile:

As usual, a small demonstration:

This is looking really interesting so far :). I’ve been working on my own climbing system but if yours comes out soon and I like it, I might just ditch mine and use yours instead :p. Will you also add in a manual grab functionality? (Like the one in the PS1 Tomb Raider games where you actually had to press a button and hold it pressed for the character to grab a ledge/wall and if you let go of the button, the character would let go of the ledge/wall/etc.) As an optional thing that can be switched on/off with a boolean variable, I mean. (That sort of system would also give the player more control over which ledge they want to grab when there’s more than one option.) Also, would love to see the ability to climb onto and/or over waist-high objects, chest-high objects, etc.

Oh and how “magnetic” do the ledges feel? Like, does the player actually have to line up/aim their jumps correctly for the character to grab the ledge (like in the PS1 Tomb Raider games or Mirror’s Edge) or is the character “magically” pulled towards the ledge when they’re just in the rough vicinity (like in the newer Tomb Raider games, Uncharted, etc.)?

One of the amazing system I’ve seen , great job and good luck .

I hadn’t planned on doing anything like that, but perhaps you could show a video or something of what exactly you mean? Maybe you could convince me like that :smiley:

The character has to face the ledge and be within a defined distance to the ledge, so that he can grab it. So it’s not too magnetic. But on the other hand, it does not only search for a ledge directly in front of the player, so if say the player stands next to a ledge and he tries to grab it, he might be shifted a bit while jumping for the ledge. But keep in mind that that is just because of how I adjusted some variables to be right now. The ledge-tracing behaviour can be customized and tweaked to your liking.

Thanks a lot. Always happy to see people like my work :smiley:

Great work here it all looks great and is smooth as butter! Is this multiplayer/network ready as well? That would be awesome. I’ve been eyeing a few UE4 Climbing systems in the works, and will definitely immediately purchase the one that suits the needs the closest. My eventual goal would be to integrate any of these potential popular/hit Climbing systems with the already popular/hit Generic Shooter project package, that would be amazing!

Hey @Bugmee

Got any updates on this? Eagerly watching it’s development. :smiley:

For surface maybe make a line trace from the head of the character in front, and if there is no collision play the climb to surface anim, with some forward and a little upward movement. This trace would only be required during climbing.

Thanks :smiley: I don’t think it’s multiplayer ready since I haven’t made any special effort to make it so, but I am not sure if it would be all to hard to give it network compatibility. Nevertheless I don’t think I’m going to implement that in the near future.

That is kind of what I am doing already but my problem lies within the animation. Somehow it just doesn’t look nice enough. When climbing up you can sometimes see some shaky movements and I really don’t like that. And since I’m no animation artist I’m having really big trouble adjusting the animation to fit nicely. If you have any ideas how I could handle my animation problem I would be really happy :smiley:

Updates will be coming soon :smiley: I am currently trying to get something to work, but as soon as it’s done I will be posting my progress

There are root motion animations, currently for free at Mixamo.com, climbing, hanging, climbing to surface stand…

ps. consider me a beta tester :slight_smile:

I am currently using mixamo animations, but the problem with them is that their root motion does not import into unreal engine the right way. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, but the animations root motion is tilted and continues to tilt as the animation is beeing played.

Thanks :smiley: I could indeed use some people who are willing to test out the system and give me some feedback.

I would love to beta test for you.

I’ll beta test if you still need more testers :slight_smile:

I to would like to beta test, not only for bug fixes and suggestions but also to see how easy it would be for me to replicate this logic for multiplayer use.

I also beta tested FTC’s Adventure Kit for all his different templates.

Let me know if you seriously consider beta testers.