Advanced Cel Shader Pack

Straight up: $45. So closer to the bottom of the range than the top :slight_smile:

Wowza

I’ve got to be honest, I’m out. Excellent work on this that probably is worth $45, but I just can’t justify it for myself. Time to get cracking on my own! :smiley: Best of luck to you, amigo.

There’s always the older, free version :slight_smile:

I’ve found that the vast majority of what I consider “affordable” tools are in the $99-$250 range with assets being $20-80. I suspect the industry has found its price point and won’t move away from that, even on the Unreal Engine marketplace.

$45?! It’s nifty but I guess that’s a little too much to justify for something which has been created in the forums already for free.

^I’d love to see ANY sort of retort to that. Holy ****, man, that was great. Kudos.

For asset / texture packs I will try to stay withing the $10 - $50 range. For enhancement packs (shaders, plugins, etc…), $50 - $100. The reason being is that for asset packs, you typically may use them once or twice… with enhancement packs, you typically use those ALOT (depending if you stick with the same style).

No man, it was fine. Also, have you tried out the Quixel Suite yet? I really love their stuff, so I always get excited when I see other developers using their software.

Cheers :slight_smile:

I use NDO a lot! I need to try the other tools but haven’t really gotten around to it. I am extremely keen on the texture pack they’re releasing eventually. How have you been finding it?

There’s always room for video. Nvidia Shadowplay seems to desaturate it a lot though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JDmK57uRgk

Hi !
I’ve sent you a private message.
I know I’m OT but I don’t know if you receive notification pop-up or email notification of new PM :o

I think the Price is fair, there is a lot of Work in it and we User of this Shader have a lot of Settings to work with and make it easy to use it. Also when there is future Support with new Features etc. it is all fine for me. So I hope you didn’t drop the Development soon after Release. ^^

Free Stuff is nice, but often as a normal User you must look who update that Stuff for you for example for new UE4 Versions.

Holly Sh… that is awesome: http://vimeo.com/103109019 :eek: That is what I want to reach, but for a Game. :wink:

I’ve been using Ddo and Ndo for quite some time now and I really love them both. I really wish Megascans would release already, though.

That price point is a steal. Thanks for making that available. Can’t wait for it to hit the store.

Now that I’m home and not trying to avoid work, I see that I was looking at an old thread and this is way further ahead than I thought. Yey!

As for the price, I’ll pay for it even though I’ll probably never finish my game because reasons. Thanks for your effort, it looks amazing and can’t wait to try it.

I think we’re all terrified of not finishing our masterpieces. I know my goalposts keep moving.

Thanks for the vote of support :slight_smile:

so will you include tutorial on how to get it to work with particles(masked) as im sure most people if they bought it would be let down to discover particles wont work at all unless masked

I love talking about this! And it’s also much more complicated than that!

A bit of background: Unreal Engine’s render pipeline uses deferred translucency. This means that first it renders everything that’s opaque (or masked), then it renders everything translucent, then it combines them together like a post-process effect. What complicates things is that the cel shader post-process layer can happen BETWEEN these steps. By default it does because that looks better (although you can change this and cel-shade translucent materials too.)

When I was developing in XNA way back in 2009 I was also doing deferred translucency and I made use of this issue! When you’re cel shading, water looks better if you cel shade the ground behind it then apply the translucency over top. Then when I remade the shader this year in UE I made the same accidental discovery all over again. Go me.

The end result is this:

The water can be made more or less opaque as far as the cel shading lines are concerned. It can also be made more or less opaque in relation to the colour behind it as a totally independent control. This water shader IS included in the Advanced Cel Shading Pack because it’s dope.

So how does this apply to particles? Well, depending on your particle material you’ll either be using lights, a masked material or a translucent material. Like mentions above, translucent materials aren’t cel-shaded normally! Fortunately most situations in which you’d use a translucent materials, the edge detection wouldn’t pick up the edges and shade them anyway. By changing how you do opacity, you can choose if you want your particle to be heavily cel shaded like a normal object, or lightly shaded behind it like water.

Masked:

Translucent:

So finally, you CAN tell the cel-shader post process material to run AFTER the deferred translucency. I experimented with this a bit in the beginning but haven’t gone back to it as I didn’t want to have to tweak my settings all over again to make it look good. I think the issue was that the lighting is ALSO deferred and it was really messing with my settings at the time. It’s certainly worth another look.

Also worth mentioning: I AM writing a user guide for the cel shader which will have screenshots demonstrating what each control does. I’m currently reducing the number of cel shader controls a bit as some of the options are best left as static values in the blueprint, but Epic say that we can do updates post-release! Hooray!

Edit: the settings are “Before tonemapping”, “After tonemapping” and “Before translucency”. Not hugely clear what each one means in relation to the others. Anyway:

Before tonemapping (normal):

After tonemapping:

That looks evil as hell. I think the colour is coming from the Distant Overbright control. Yup, it’s the overbright. You can do some surprisingly cool stuff with it, e.g. make it bright and make it start way further back:

Our pirate looks particularly badass:

Things can get pretty funky:

So that all looked pretty good. But what about “Before translucency”? Here’s a shot:

This just looks terrible. The water still looks good because there’s a lot that goes into the water shader - an approximation of specularity (UE doesn’t do this for translucent materials), some distortion, some depth-based colour, some depth-based opacity, etc. The smoke material has had no such effort applied to it as it’s just meant to be simple and fast. End result, looks bad.

great reply thanks…you should post some images of it applied to some sci-fi scenes i think you would get even more interest with a variety of examples

Try it out with the Sci Fi hallway example content. I don’t have it set up anymore but it came out quite good! It also looks great with the hang glider demo after some tweaking.

I’ll get it set up again and some shots soon!

Hell I am buying this just to do some arty-fartsy story boards and renders for another project. Could even use it for a printed game manual or even a graphic novel if you don’t want to use it in a game. :smiley: