A new UE4 user, need help getting clarity about royalty fee

Why it is not correct ?

The example is right about the 5% above 3000$ per quarter.

bumping this old thread, but there is something I couldn’t find information on : what about refunds? Does the royalty fee apply to sales regardless if they get refunded?

say you sell 10 000 copies of a game for 10$, you’ll then have $100K. Woot that’s fantastic. Then it’s the end of the quarter and time to pay Epic its 5% royalties fee : $5K. You have 95k in your bank account, that’s still awesome.
But something apocalyptic happens and 100% of the customers decide to get a refund. You have to pay back all of the $100K to the unhappy customers, but there is a problem, you already gave $5K to Epic.

Although it’s a very unrealistic scenario, is that how it works?

That type of thing isn’t going to happen, but you could very easily have a situation where someone buys a game right before the end of the quarter and then refunds it after, I’m not sure how Epic would handle that type of thing, it wouldn’t be a whole lot, my guess is that you should be allowed to adjust for that in your next quarter.

I have a question, do we need to send a report to Epic if we are making less than 3k. I haven’t made anything on my game because I only have a demo so I’m not sure if I should be sending reports.

You should.

Found this in the EULA (super confusing)

Do I need to report royalties forever?
No, you only need to report royalties when you are making more than $3,000 per quarter from your product. If your game no longer is being sold, or no longer makes that amount of money, no royalty reports are due.

What’s confusing about it? It just says you don’t have to report royalties if you’re making less than $3000.

Because in another part of EULA it says that you have to start sending reports as soon as your game starts making money.

Well, my bad, I’ve re-read the EULA and it does state that you should report revenue for each quarter that goes above the $3k threshold. So it would look like you don’t need to.

If you sell 100K with Unity per year, you need to use the pro version, and Unity is really a raw game engine, you need to pay for lots asset to get it working IMO, but I agree the per calendar quarter can be a painful process!