A different kind of cel shader

I made up a project with a couple of sample items. I’ve thrown in my terrain and water shaders as well: MEGA

It’s a bit larger (~90MB) but now it’s an actual project. I’ve also added a link to the first post that I’ll maintain.

I’m keen to get this on the marketplace for easy access, so any feedback is welcome. Let me know how it goes!

I see! So my two hours of re-arranging nodes was wasted. :wink: Actually that’s thoroughly broken, no wonder I wasn’t getting any feedback! The project zip file above should fix the problem.

Thank you so much! :cool:

[EDIT] I’ll definitely give you some feedback and screenshot results

Remember, you owe me screenshots of anything cool you make. :slight_smile:

Here’s a shot of the new sample project:

Sure thing! :cool:

Everything is working like a charm! This is beautiful. Thanks again.

Excellent :slight_smile:

So does anyone have a rift? I’m very interested in how it looks in 3D.

Ok after a few hours of learning how everything works here is my first WIP screenshot using the post-process:

&stc=1

The landscape material is just the vehicle landscape material tweaked for this test scene. I’m making my own landscape material to service my needs. Now to take this to the next level :cool:

Looking good!

Thanks! Your post-process is doing most of the work here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a very simple scene. I wanted to see how it fares with simple shapes, I was very happy with the almost immediate results on such simple scenery, gives a very cartoony feel I was hoping to achieve. Thanks again, I’ll be posting more developed screenshots as I take this further.

I noticed I uploaded the sample with some crappy settings. I might re-upload it again. For now I’d suggest making the shadow texture repeat more often (make the value smaller) so that the shading is more apparent. Try putting a subtle texture on the grass too, so it has something to draw detail over.

Actually, as I look closer your shading is quite nice. Hmm. Maybe the detail shader isn’t showing up as much as it should? The rocky area in the terrain should be drawing lines as well. Depends entirely on your settings I guess :slight_smile:

You might have uploaded just fine. It looked/behaved as it should(the way you made it) in your example scene/project.

lol This isn’t the same project file and very different settings. I changed a few things for it to look this way purposefully. I’m using very flat shaders, you’ll see where I take this idea as I progress.

[EDIT] Your post-process is very versatile. I’m not going to be using it it the same way it’s made. Nah, I changed the landscape on purpose, that’s why it’s not looking as you intended. I won’t even be using this landscape, the rocks have too much detail for my idea.

Basically my plan is mainly to use flat shaders with very little texturing. Yeah, I tweaked the shader to not show as much detail. I’m not going to be using much detail textures. I’m also making different textures for shading. You’ll get to see a very different way this great post-process can be used!

I can’t wait. :slight_smile:

I acquired a 4k monitor today, so I took a screenshot. It turns out imgur compresses things too much, so here’s a giant PNG: http://skull.co.nz/4k.png

This hilights the thing I like most about this shader - no matter how bad your textures are, you’re still going to get a per-pixel line effect. Compare that with this 4k screenshot from CoD Ghosts: http://i2.minus.com/iPMDChp5cNIyK.png

And just for fun, here’s what the cel shader does with that screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/3dvR9wG.jpg

Your video quality settings make a huge difference to how the shader looks and performs. The “Effects” setting must be a MINIMUM of “high” and the viewport res should try to achieve 100%. Other settings aren’t as important, although anti-aliasing is probably the next most noticeable setting.

Here’s what I’m using:

Resolution: 100%
View distance: Epic
Anti-aliasing: Epic
Post-processing: Epic
Shadows: Medium
Textures: Epic
Effects: High
Monitor editor performance: off

If you don’t switch that last option off, the editor will mess with your settings to some degree I believe, possibly resolution.

New update:

CelShader v6 (Includes samples) - 660MB
CelShader v6 (small) - 44MB

**Changes
New sample project content

Cel outline depth filtering is much easier to control now:
offset (distance from camera to start ramp),
ramp length (how long it takes to reach and fall off from max shading density),
width (how far to shade at max density)

Inputs reorganised. They’re still a bit complicated but they’re tidier

The line width you select is now applied 1:1 at 1080p. If your player’s screen is smaller, the lines get smaller. If it’s larger, the lines get larger. This should keep games looking consistent across different screen resolutions.

Preview

v0.0.7 and some new shader presets released. See first post in thread for download link and screenshots.

Really slick looking. What kind of licences is this licences under?

So here are some screenshots of a desert scene I am working on. Note everything is WIP. Where the 2 Hangars are, there will be a destroyed military base.

The license is the same as anything on the marketplace: the shaders are free to use as you see fit

Nice roads! Can’t wait to see some more military stuff in there!

You know what’s cool? Lasers are cool.