NEW(3/22/2024) UE5.5+ feedback: Please Invest In Actual PERFORMANCE Innovations Beyond Frame Smearing For Actual GAMES.

2.5k view and so far this is the 6th most voted topic with only 37 votes.
The Goal? To be the top feedback post.

I have spent my day testing Lumen, VSMs, and Nanites performance in the new 5.3 release.
The roadmap for UE5.3 had barely any mentions of targeting performance improvements.

r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold 0 doesn’t seem to force VSM’s to respect LODS like Nanite meshes.
EDIT(This command is in consistent)

Only VSMs and a newer(so possibly faster) version of C++ is now being used for UE5.

So far, in comparison with 5.2, we may have gotten a possible 10% performance increase. Maybe not even that. And Yes, I scaled down the bumped up settings in 5.3 to match 5.2
Test were done with the City sample with zero AI or gamelogic running to purely test GPU rasterization.

Lumen still highly relies on massive amounts of past frames to be smeared on top of your current frame. So motion/action is still take a blurry hit.

Nanite performance. Is it finally better?
Not sure if it’s sabotage but the mesh editor [and LODs systems FREEZES UE5.3]
(Unreal Engine 5.3 Released - #85 by _Solid_Snake)
So, now I can’t even test LODs verses Nanite performance anymore unless I jump through hoops on another LOD creator application then import and all this other crap.

Honestly, this is too much. I’m super tired personally, just just physically but mentally tired.
TIRED of good ideas being slapped down by Epic and the UE5 programmers.

If such a massive/popular engine fails to focus on REAL performance vs upscaling with blurry temporal crap, then gamers with good hardware are screwed and people who like crisp games and action-motion are screwed.

If UE5.4 doesn’t focus on real innovations to fix development problems and doesn’t stop forcing people to use a 100% Nanite+Lumen+VSM workflow. Then the future of games is going to be a complete oxymoron.

1 Like