LiDAR plugin for UE 5.1 crashes editor on install

I’ve been trying to install the LiDAR plugin but can’t get it to work. Tested on three computers all with the same result and it’s currently being a bit of a blocker in our pipeline. Anyone got any ideas if it can be fixed?

1 Like

Hi Techgunk,

It could just be a ‘lost in translation’ thing, but there is a LiDAR plugin that is already “Installed” with 5.1 but is deactivated by default.

Edit → Plugins → ‘Lidar Point Cloud Support’

Is this the plugin you’re referring to?

I was able to enable this plugin in my 5.1 project without a crash.

Assuming this is the plugin you want, if you enable it in a newly-created project does it still crash?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I was pretty unclear but that’s what I meant :slight_smile: I’m enabling the built-in plugin but I’ve only had crashes when installing :frowning:
I’ve tried to start both a blank project and a VR project with the same result.

Oh wow,

The 3 computers you tested on were Windows right?

Is there a callstack that appears when you crash? If yes, what does it say?

1 Like

I’ve now been successful in getting it to work in a normal blank project! :partying_face: tho I still have a problem that all the colors are inverted, any ideas?
But I still get crashes every time the plugin is enabled in the VR preset

This is what I get at crash:
Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\ShaderCompiler\ShaderCompiler.cpp] [Line: 4668] /Plugin/LidarPointCloud/Private/LidarPointCloudVertexFactory.ush:242:30: warning: ambiguous type for bit shift; use a type suffix on literal values, like ‘L’ or ‘U’, or a cast [-Wambig-lit-shift] if ((ChildrenBitmask & (1 << ChildNodeIndex)) == 0) ^ /Plugin/LidarPointCloud/Private/LidarPointCloudVertexFactory.ush:255:31: warning: ambiguous type for bit shift; use a type suffix on literal values, like ‘L’ or ‘U’, or a cast [-Wambig-lit-shift] if ((ChildrenBitmask & (1 << i)) != 0) ^ /Engine/Private/DebugViewModeVertexShader.usf:56:57: error: no member named ‘InstanceId’ in ‘FVertexFactoryInput’ const uint EyeIndex = (IsInstancedStereo() ? ( (Input.InstanceId) & 1) : 0) ; ~~~~~ ^ /Engine/Private/DebugViewModeVertexShader.usf:59:64: error: no member named ‘InstanceId’ in ‘FVertexFactoryInput’ ResolvedView = (ResolveView( (IsInstancedStereo() ? ( (Input.InstanceId) & 1) : 0) )) ; ~~~~~ ^ D3DCompileToDxil failed. Error code: Unspecified error (0x80004005). /Engine/Private/BasePassVertexShader.usf:40:57: error: no member named ‘InstanceId’ in ‘FVertexFactoryInput’ const uint EyeIndex = (IsInstancedStereo() ? ( (Input.InstanceId) & 1) : 0) ; ~~~~~ ^ /Engine/Private/BasePassVertexShader.usf:45:64: error: no member named ‘InstanceId’ in ‘FVertexFactoryInput’ ResolvedView = (ResolveView( (IsInstancedStereo() ? ( (Input.InstanceId) & 1) : 0) )) ; ~~~~~ ^ /Engine/Private/PositionOnlyDepthVertexShader.usf:23:57: error: no member

UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

Ok, I have found the solution.

I saw that ‘InstancedStereo’ was mentioned in the callstack.

Sure enough - if Instanced Stereo is on (off by default, but enabled by default in VR Template) the crash can be reproduced by enabling the Lidar plugin.

To fix your crashing projects:

Open yourproject/Config/DefaultEngine.ini and change vr.InstancedStereo to False

If using instanced stereo and lidar at the same time is important, consider reporting this bug.

~

Inverted lidar point colors could be a problem with your pipeline. There are some datasets in this marketplace pack that should show correct color formatting etc.

Create another thread for troubleshooting inverted colors if you’re still having difficulties.

1 Like

I’ve had the same issue as you for my VR project, the editor was crashing on load with those errors and I had issues pinpointing it to the LidarPointCloud Plugin.

For some reason I had that plugin turned on and wasn’t using it and couldn’t understand how migrating to 5.1 was crashing it. Luckily I ran into this post and fixed the issue (in my case, I turned off the plugin, but turning InstancedStereo off could also fix it)

Hi all,

I’m happy to report that this bug has been entered into the bug tracking database and is publicly viewable at UE-175226