How do I delete requests for missing references?

Each time I open my map, this is popping up:

I tried to look around but can’t find where these references are stored, so I can’t delete them.
I am trying to use Landmass, but I’m stuck as it won’t let me add layers if I don’t fix this, because it says that the editor needs to finish the existing tasks… which of course it can’t because those references are missing.
Please note that my map is working perfectly: the splines are generating my landscape correctly. So i don’t really know what I can delete.

4 Likes

Hi PolyMad,

That looks like it’s trying to reference things in the new ‘one file per actor’ system.

I’m not sure how redirectors work in the context of this new system, but if you right-click on your Content folder and select ‘Fix-up Redirectors in Folder’ do you still get this popup?

3 Likes

Thank you for the effort, but unluckily it didn’t work :cry:

This is also a problem for me. I can’t find any information on how to fix this. A solution would be great.

Hi SireFuzzywig,

Are you also using the Landmass plugin? (Or are you seeing this just with the landscape system?)

Thanks

1 Like

I am using Landmass.
Another hint: when I tried to use FIX UP REDIRECTORS IN FOLDER, it messed up the map by adding back some stuff that I removed earlier on (together with the terrain parts!), like directional light, skydome, etc.
Lately, it is not doing this anymore (I try every now and then to see if it finally fixes things up…), but the missing terrain parts keep popping up in the error message.

Astrotronic,

Yes, I am using landmass to create the landscape. :grin:

And now, after testing to add pieces of terrain… I get this.

Man this sucks really.
I tried to create a new map, create new terrain, imported the landmass splines, and got again the missing references.
It’s clearly warning about the splines, while at the same time USING THEM.
I wonder how this is possible, as I only duplicated the original spline to build up my landmass. If this leads to an error, it should be denied.

Anyway, I have 22 splines in the terrain, in both maps.
The original map gives 21 warnings, while the re-made map gives 22.
I really don’t know where to bash my head anymore and I’m wasting a huge amount of time.
I’m wondering if the UE team is actually using these features, as I don’t feel I have done anything strange with this toolset.

The original map gives that flashing rendering and I absolutely don’t know how to solve it, while the re-made map requires to set up all the material layers again.

I was seeing that as well in my project. I think it relates to this bug: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-151862)

Looks like Fix ETA is 5.1

2 Likes

This is cool.

However, I tried to remove the HLOD, because I’m not really using it at this stage, so I could lower the complexity of the management and see if I can solve some of the warnings, and after rebuilding the HLODs, this is what I get:

All these hexadecimal codes, there’s no way one can identify the problematic actor.

I solved the flashing parts of landscape by selecting all the splines and changing the falloff etc.
This forced the engine to rebuild everything in the landscape, so at least for now I can still work.

2 Likes

Let’s keep this thread alive. I’d love to figure out how to fix these “missing references” …

I deleted Saved, Intermediate, Derived Data Cache and still no luck. Pretty sure the “missing references” were deleted by Perforce and/or Unreal in normal updating/editing.

I think that they have just silenced these soft errors, until they find the cause or the time to fix it, I still have them, this report below is from the log after I opened the map right now.

I have the same problem and it’s 100% reproducible for me in any project by just creating a landscape and adding a landmass brush.

Tried a couple things but nothing really seems to work.

I can’t say this is best idea, but maybe delete level build_data file - engine should recreate it. Test it on other non important level file.

Hello!

I had this problem too, I couldn’t submit my changelist in source control because of this. The way I was able to “fix” it was by disabling “Edit Layers” in the Landscape. Your landscape will stay the same but all edit layers and all the references on the layers will be gone. I guess it works like “Flatten” in Gimp or Photoshop. It’s not really a fix for people who need to keep their landmass brushes though or the edit layers themselves.

Hope this helps someone. :grin: