5.1 Water buoyancy not working?

That is likely the issue. I’ve been seeing more projects not having the collision profiles set up and it’s causing far more issues. I’m not sure if it’s 5.1 changes to how col profiles are set up breaking plugins and how they did it previously. It’s in my big book of things to dig into better, but there’s multiple reports out on it for now so I’ll just see if my little fix solves it for you here and now. If not I have a much less fun workaround that I know works.

So first the possible fix:
Head over to your project’s folder-> config → DefaultEngine.ini
Slide down to your collision profiles and search for WaterBodyCollision. You likely won’t find it, we can add it here directly.

+Profiles=(Name="WaterBodyCollision",CollisionEnabled=QueryOnly,bCanModify=False,ObjectTypeName="",CustomResponses=((Channel="WorldDynamic",Response=ECR_Overlap),(Channel="Pawn",Response=ECR_Overlap),(Channel="Visibility",Response=ECR_Ignore),(Channel="Camera",Response=ECR_Ignore),(Channel="PhysicsBody",Response=ECR_Overlap),(Channel="Vehicle",Response=ECR_Overlap),(Channel="Destructible",Response=ECR_Overlap)),HelpMessage="Default Water Collision Profile (Created by Water Plugin)")

Copy and paste that under the collision profile list, then launch the project and check for it in the water as well as in the project settings.

If that fails, then I’ve got a long and convoluted version. Which is quite literally making a project in 5.03, making the landscape and water, then make sure buoyancy is functioning then upgrade the project to 5.1 and migrate things if you aren’t that far along.

I also made the video but everything worked out of the box so it was… less useful than expected.

3 Likes