5.1 and "Panorama" plugin renders black.

Hi, I noticed when pulling 5 scenes into 5.1 and trying to render the same scene with the 360 pano plugin it just renders black, same scene, same settings. Is this plugin busted in 5.1?

1 Like

We are having the same issue: Panorama renders (via Movie Render Queue) that worked in 5.0 render black in 5.1. I hope Epic knows about this bug?

This issue has been reported here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-169865)

1 Like

Hey, it was fixed for upcoming 5.1.1 Hotfix. For those who can’t wait for that, I pulled the changes and compiled the plugin for 5.1.

Go to your 5.1 installation under \UE_5.1\Engine\Plugins\MovieScene\ and replace the “MoviePipelineMaskRenderPass” Folder with the one from the ZIP below. Hope it works for you!

MoviePipelineMaskRenderPass_fixedBlackScreen.zip (13.2 MB)

2 Likes

Hi,
This is awesome, we needed it yesterday, but when I replace the plugin files in my 5.1 installation, I get the “built with a different engine version” error:

Is there anything I can do to spoof the version number?
Thank you so much!
-Donald

Getting the same compile error after replacing the folder files - can you link me to the 5.1.1 branch in Git?

Hey, sorry the version didn’t work for you. You can follow Recompile Unreal Plugin to new Engine Version (In About a Minute) - YouTube to recompile a plugin for any version.

Edit: be aware, that you need to remove the plugin folder from the above mentioned path for the recompile to work. Otherwise runUAT.Bat will complain about two plug-ins with the same name/classes.

2 Likes

Thanks for that recompiled plugin! I was having the same problem. It works for me adding it directly to the Plugins folder of my project - I haven’t tried modifying the original plugin in the Engine yet.

Any news on when 5.1.1 will be available?
My plugin MetaShoot relies on the Panoramic Render pass for the 360 camera and users can’t use that feature right now.
Could I include your recompiled plugin folder as part of my plugin so it works on 5.1?

Thanks!

Only epic knows when 5.1.1 will come. As for including the plugin: From my side, do with it what you like. But its epics code in the end. If I remember the EULA correctly you are not allowed to redistribute their code/content. Maybe I am wrong though in this case, I don’t know. But at the very least you could provide a workaround for your users similar to what I did here.

Yeah I sent an email with your recompiled plugin. I’ll wait for 5.1.1 as the official fix. Thanks so much for your help.

Hi, would you by any chance have experienced paranomic rendering in movie render queue having gpu crashes in 5.1.1? I am having this issue and have been trying to find a way to solve it.

I noticed if I disable nanite with r.nanite 0 in the console command. It works but it is very very slow.

Any ideas? :pray:

Sounds like your VRAM is exhausting. Watch the task manager while it renders, if the VRAM from your GPU overflows into the normal RAM, then that fills to 100% and then the crash happens thats pretty much it. You would have to optimize your Scene(for example reducing the max texture size using the matrix bulk edit) or get a GPU with more VRAM and/or get more RAM.

Another thing to try is enabling virtual texture streaming in your project settings.

Other resources for working with the MRQ and possible things to try:

Thanks for the info :slightly_smiling_face:. I don’t think its the scene being heavy that is causing the gpu crashes. Can you plz take a look at this thread:

The gpu crashes even with simple scenes when you try to do a paranomic render with history per pane enabled.

I’ve read it, but still. Even in the “allocate history per pane” is stated that it eats up massive amounts of vram. Have you done my suggestion to look at the task manager for the vram and ram while it’s rendering to see if both fill up to 100% and then it crashes? Or does the crash happen earlier? Another try is using DDU to deinstall your gpu drivers and then reinstall cleanly again. Have you tried the registry edit from the video and link above?

But it makes no sense if the scene is very simple and still the gpu crashes when “allocate history per pane” is enabled.

It fills up before it crashes. But if I disable nanite via r.nanite 0 which makes the scene performance even way worse, it starts to render but very slowly.

Just tried this. It still crashes the gpu.

Yes and the gpu still crashes.

I appreciate all the suggestions you have given so far. Thanks.

I feel like there is a bug with the Movie Pipeline render passes plugin in 5.1.1 that is causing this issue.

Sorry, wasn’t quite clear what you already tried or not. If its a bug, then its maybe only for certain hardware? Have you looked at what the log says? Under \Saved\Logs. The right one is the one that has its “Date modified” closest to the crash time. You can also throw it in here if you have trouble reading it.

Thanks.

This might indeed mean my gpu ran out of memory to run the scene for paranomic rendering.

@rePete
After a lot of troubleshooting seems paranomic rendering with allocate history per pane enabled uses at least 22gb of shared vram memory. Doesn’t matter how simple the scene is. I tested this with multiple scenes, even empty ones too.

Isn’t that too much? This happens in 5.1.1. I don’t think 5.0 uses this much.

1 Like

I didn’t notice a difference in VRAM Usage between 5.0 and 5.1. My project is in the final stages, so I am using my 5.1 + custom-built 5.1.1 plugin setup. I didn’t update to 5.1.1 completely yet. But the Resolution of your panorama will affect the VRAM Usage as well, so even if the Scene is empty, if you render something like 8k or 12k or 16k the VRAM will fill very quickly.

I am currently rendering something like 16000 x 900 resolution with a heavy scene and the render fills up all the 12GB VRAM and about 50GB of RAM but stays stable.

In general, allocate history per pane has to keep a lot of images in VRAM to do its magic I guess, and that will naturally eat a lot of VRAM, no matter the scene.

Any chance you can upload a 5.1.1 version of your custom built plugin setup pls :pray:

I tried rendering out 512 by 256 and the gpu still crashed. I am wondering maybe there was some error when updating 5.1.0 to 5.1.1 using epic launcher. or maybe do a fresh 5.1.1 reinstall?

I also do not have ‘‘editor symbols for debugging’’ installed.

EDIT: I have a RTX 2080 card with 8gb ram and a ram of 64gb. From my Task manager, my gpu uses a shared vram of 31.9 gb. I shouldn’t be having this issue.