Steam Integration / Dedicated Server no longer working in 4.24!

Hello,

I recently updated to UE4.24 and having massive issues with the Steam Integration and Dedicated Servers. The project and dedicated servers where running perfectly fine in older engine versions (unfortunatly I have spent so much work in the last 2 weeks within UE4.24 that reverting back to an old Engine version is not possible).

If I launch the game as a client (standalone) the steam integration works perfectly fine. When I build the Dedicated Server the below Log is printed where it states that Steam Dedicated Server API failed to initialize.​​​​​​​ The Server is not listed and cannot be found, if I launch with the -NOSTEAM command it obviously failes to create a session.

So here is the question - What changed from UE 4.22 to 4.24 to massivly destroy the Steam Integration for dedicated servers?
I have tried many different DefaultEngine setups (all you can find on google and in the documentation) as well as for the Server Target file. There seams currently no way to launch a Dedicated Server with the currently given informations.

How can I fix this?

Log:

[2020.03.03-15.22.31:699][  0]LogOnline: OSS: Creating online subsystem instance for: Steam
[2020.03.03-15.22.31:701][  0]LogSteamShared: Warning: Steam Dedicated Server API failed to initialize.
[2020.03.03-15.22.31:702][  0]LogOnline: STEAM: [AppId: 0] Game Server API initialized 0
[2020.03.03-15.22.31:703][  0]LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Failed to initialize Steam, this could be due to a Steam server and client running on the same machine. Try running with -NOSTEAM on the cmdline to disable.
[2020.03.03-15.22.31:704][  0]LogOnline: Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()
[2020.03.03-15.22.31:705][  0]LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steam API failed to initialize!
[2020.03.03-15.22.31:705][  0]LogOnline: Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()

DefaultEngine (I changed the AppID to SpaceWar just for this example):

[OnlineSubsystem]
PollingIntervalInMs=20
DefaultPlatformService=Steam
VoiceNotificationDelta=0.2

[/Script/Engine.Engine]
!NetDriverDefinitions=ClearArray
+NetDriverDefinitions=(DefName="GameNetDriver",DriverClassName="OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver",DriverClassNameFallback="OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver")

[/Script/OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver]
NetServerMaxTickRate=60
MaxClientRate=15000
MaxInternetClientRate=10000

[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=true
SteamDevAppId=480
SteamAppId=480
GameServerQueryPort=27015
bRelaunchInSteam=false
GameVersion=1.0.0.0
bVACEnabled=1
bAllowP2PPacketRelay=true
bUsesPresence=false
P2PConnectionTimeout=90
Achievement_0_Id=

[/Script/OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver]
NetConnectionClassName="OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetConnection"

I am currently running into the same issue. If possible, please keep me updated if you are able to find a solution to this problem. I will also post an answer in case I find something…

Hey, I’ve been using this configuration and the plugins in a C++/Blueprints combined project.

;Advanced Sessions Steam
!NetDriverDefinitions=ClearArray
; Uncomment the next line if you are using the Null Subsystem
;-NetDriverDefinitions=(DefName="GameNetDriver",DriverClassName="/Script/OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver",DriverClassNameFallback="/Script/OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver")
; Uncomment the next line if you are using the Steam Subsystem
+NetDriverDefinitions=(DefName="GameNetDriver",DriverClassName="OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver",DriverClassNameFallback="OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver")

;Advanced Sessions Steam
[OnlineSubsystem]
PollingIntervalInMs=20
; Uncomment the following line to use the Null Subsystem
;DefaultPlatformService=Null
; Uncomment the following lines to use the Steam Subsystem
DefaultPlatformService=Steam
VoiceNotificationDelta=0.2

;Advanced Sessions Steam
[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=true
SteamDevAppId=480
SteamAppId=480
GameServerQueryPort=27015
bRelaunchInSteam=false
GameVersion=1.0.0.0
bVACEnabled=1
bAllowP2PPacketRelay=true
P2PConnectionTimeout=90
; This is to prevent subsystem from reading other achievements that may be defined in parent .ini
Achievement_0_Id=""

;Advanced Sessions Steam
[/Script/OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver]
NetConnectionClassName="OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetConnection"

Inside the project I don’t have any special configs, just the plugins enabled.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/community-content-tools-and-tutorials/41043-advanced-sessions-plugin

Are you using the updated one for 4.24?

Hey, I have the same problem. Did anyone find a solution to this? Does it have to do with Firewall? Server on same machine like steam? (which cant be on my side because Im trying with AWS Server and I get the same error that Subsystem Steam couldnt init and AppId is 0. Does it have to do with the steamworks dedicated section settings? I have my own AppId and publsihed all the stuff there but still no luck. I followed tutorials where they openend all ports for Unreal and Steam but no luck. :frowning:

Same problem, did you find a solution?