Planned support/fix for Animation Sharing Plugin Removing Collision (UE-76049)?

Issue UE-76049, where meshes using the animation sharing plugins would lose their mesh collision, is marked ‘By Design’.

Does this mean that this is intended and not a bug? If so, what is the reasoning behind it?
Is there a recommended workaround?

I would just like some staff confirmation as I cannot find any official statements regarding this issue.

Hello,

We’ve recently made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/

Thanks

I need answers on this too, what was the outcome?

3 years later and still no answer. I am also wondering - why is this ‘by design’? Supposedly the anim sharing plugin is an extension of leader pose component, which does not affect collision.

In any case, given that it’s been closed and marked ‘by design’ surely we should be able to get some indication as to why and whether or not anything can be done about it.

We can use other methods but frustrating to not know if that’s necessary or not, simply because someone closed the issue without clarifications in the documentation.

1 Like

Better luck drawing blood from a stone…

The plugin offers limited usage/benefits. It’s got its uses, but when you need colliders its usually best to have separate entities anyway.

Though it isn’t (because it really is not) you can consider it a copy and paste of one animation to any number of entities. The first thing should be able to use Physical Animations, all other meshes should move/react exactly the same way.
For them to be individualized or to allow movement of just one to be different than the rest, your best bet is to use a material shader to move the verts on that one instance.
Ofc, that’s an impossibility if you are looking for physical reactions.

If you were building this from the ground up, you would have to separate the instance you intend to collide with, perform whatever stuff the collisions causes, bring the actor/mesh back to the state it needs to be in, and have it rejoin the shared animation group.
And remeber that if you need to sync the animations (say they are dancing in unison or something) catching the right frame to be in sync is going to be hell :stuck_out_tongue:

Ps: obviously to spearate the instance you have to trace the visual channel for collision…

Meanwhile use capsule for collision.