How do you import new animations onto a mesh in UE4 without deleting or renaming?

Hey. I have been running into trouble importing new animations I have made in blender, to an existing mesh in UE4. When I try to re-import the mesh and animations (I have my preferences set to bring up the import options every time I import/re-import anything) it only prompts me with a successful re-import of the mesh and makes no additional animations. I know we were able to do this in earlier versions of UE4 but no longer i guess? Does anyone know any work around without renaming or deleting my original import?

Hi, I already answered a question similar to this, maybe it’ll help you:

I hope it helps.

I assume you’re attempting to import animations in FBX format. When Importing, deselect import static mesh and set the skeleton to be your model’s skeleton. If all goes well you will have the new animations linked to your character model. Hope I helped!

there is no “import static mesh” and it is already reimporting the skeleton

it refuses to load additional animations while they are present in the fbx file (I checked with an hex editor)

Hey! Did you ever get your answer to this? This might be a hacky way to do it but if you import your FBX into a different folder than where your existing skeletal mesh is, the import dialog should let you select the checkbox to import animations. Select the existing skeleton and hit import. Then just delete the new skeletal mesh it imported so you’re just left with the animation files, which should automatically work with your existing skeletal mesh. I usually just create an “Animations” folder inside the folder where my skeletal mesh is and import new anims into there

that’s what I do, then I have to relink/reconfigure all anims, it takes some time so I avoid modding my character anims so far
this sucks