FRecomputeTangentsPerVertexPassCS causing crashes

Not at all sure what happened but any UE4 based game gives me this error when launched and exits. Have Removed all versions of editor, reinstalled games but still happening. Really dont want to have to do a clean install so suggetions received gratefully!

I’m having the same issue here, on a Linux, with UE 4.22. Still trying to find out what it is, but it started happening after I changed one of the project settings (trying to improve performance while my next decent video card doesn’t arrive).

Already tried rebuilding the shaders from the Makefile, even, but that didn’t fix it.

Actually I think I found the issue: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-58013)

Check if that option is enabled. If it is, disabled it, recompile everything and package again, then try running the game. This worked for me right now - nothing else seemed to work, I even recompiled the engine itself, only disabling that option fixed it for me.

[EDIT] OK, now I did find the issue, for real. It’s with the “Support Compute Skincache” project setting. There are many settings that rely on this to be turned on, so it was a bit tricky to find; but, for example, ray tracing relies on it, so it enables this feature, which makes the game crash when you try to run it after packaging. If you disable ray tracing, it won’t help, because “Support Compute Skincache” will still be enabled. Once you disable “Support Compute Skincache”, rebuild and repackage the game, then you’ll probably be able to run it again - this worked for me. I’ll file a ticket for the dev team.

Bit late replying but nice find. This has happened a couple of times since I posted this and only fix I had was deleting everything epic related in appdata folder which was a pain cheers for sharing!