Regular crash on 4.17.1 after VR Preview

I am experiencing a regular crash in 4.17.1 after a VR Preview. Once I exit the preview mode with ESC and go back to the editor, the first item I try to edit in a Blueprint causes an immediate crash of the editor. I have already submitted many log files and it keeps repeating in a regular and predictable way. I am using the Oculus Rift. Happy to share more details to help identify the root cause.

Hello vr_marco,

I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any settings/blueprints that may be involved?
  4. Could you provide your complete callstack (including machine ID)?

Looks like rolling back the GeForce driver to root 382 (382.53) from the current 385.41 has solved all instability problems and crashes, but I will continue to work on my project and confirm back.

EDIT: no, the editor keeps crashing also with the old driver. Same issue as before.

Machine ID: E98976CC4FF0F934BF9FF0A7191DE593

Layout="Document : 1" Label="Event Graph" Content=SGraphEditor
Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.17+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 327] SwapChain->ResizeBuffers(1,SizeX,SizeY,RenderTargetFormat,DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_FLAG_ALLOW_MODE_SWITCH) failed at D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.17+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Viewport.cpp:220 with error DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL, Size=738x189 Format=DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM(0x00000018)

After doing some digging I was able to find that this is a known issue and I have provided a link to the public tracker below. We are still trying to find a set of reproduction steps as of this post (9/11/2017). If you could provide a detailed list of steps that will lead to this crash in a blank project please provide more information. Feel free to use the link provided for future updates.

Link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-47762)

Make it a great day

I am also experiencing this issue. It is severely affecting a few of my production projects. Same callstack as listed in the linked issue.

Is you graphic card driver up to date? Any chance you have other programs running which could conflict with DirectX?

I have uninstalled Asus Sonic Suite 2 and all related components and I no longer have crashes.