4.7 -> 4.8 conversion quality assurance insufficient

I just upgraded to 4.8, and after half an hour fixing errors because API changes and messing with the BuildConfiguration.xml to get my compile times back where they were, it seems like my game is completely broken :

All colors has changed completely, my fully rough with 0 specularity materials now has speculars, I can’t even see my player because collisions doesn’t seem to work at BeginPlay anymore, so it’s under the floor. And all the actors of my levels (which I place from code, parsing a text file) are not in the position they should be.

And I haven’t even started to playtest, so who knows what more is there.

I’m seriously starting to regret my decision of adopting UE. :frowning:

[= ;316398]

Unfortunately, this is something that is always a possibility when converting between engine versions and is why we highly recommend sticking with a single version unless you need to update to a more stable build or the new build has features that you need to work with.
[/]

I’ve to admit that this repeated statement makes me actually a little bit angry. Epic doesn’t make any bugfixes available for all ‘outdated’ versions, you know that of course. So as a developer you don’t really have a choice other than to update because currently there are many, many, many of **bugs **which are awaiting a fix. UE4 simply isn’t in a state (yet) where you can just stick to an outdated version, quality-wise (sorry, but that’s just the truth), at least unless you have an experienced team of C++ developers which fixes the most crititcal bugs for you in-house or merging them individually from GitHub.

If you report a bug, the first thing you usually read is something like 'Hmm, interesting, does this occur in our recently released version, too?". So what am I supposed to then if an upgrade isn’t recommended then?

No, sorry. You really have to make sure that the conversion process at least works from one version to the very next version without heavy problems. If there are code-breaking changes which can’t be converted automatically, please announce them in time so we can made the necessary changes to our project before the actual conversation process.

[=;319593]
I’ve to admit that this repeated statement makes me actually a little bit angry. Epic doesn’t make any bugfixes available for all ‘outdated’ versions, you know that of course. So as a developer you don’t really have a choice other than to update because currently there are many, many, many of **bugs **which are awaiting a fix. UE4 simply isn’t in a state (yet) where you can just stick to an outdated version, quality-wise (sorry, but that’s just the truth), at least unless you have an experienced team of C++ developers which fixes the most crititcal bugs for you in-house or merging them individually from GitHub.

If you report a bug, the first thing you usually read is something like 'Hmm, interesting, does this occur in our recently released version, too?". So what am I supposed to then if an upgrade isn’t recommended then?

No, sorry. You really have to make sure that the conversion process at least works from one version to the very next version without heavy problems. If there are code-breaking changes which can’t be converted automatically, please announce them in time so we can made the necessary changes to our project before the actual conversation process.
[/]

This is the key issue. I LOVE Unreal to death and I think you’d be hard pressed to find a company more committed to it’s community, but for small shops/single dev’s this catch 22 that you mention here is a huge huge issue right now.