4.7.1 Memory leak

Same for me, opening the BP and closing constantly will raise the ram for me. however its not as much as 600-800 more like 2mb to 4mb when opening a new BP with just a few nodes. But then I realized it depends on the size of the BP that determines how much it increases. So try opening different sized BP’s with different node behaviors

OK it dramatically changes when I have a more complicated blueprint open and if I leave it open and play and stop the level it still adds to the ram usage, but more at like 10mb a run.

Avolantly,

I was able to reproduce the PIE memory leak here with the same results as you. It ramps up, say, 10MB on PIE, but only drops back down 5MB after exiting PIE.

I’ve entered this as UE-11539.

Sorry for any confusion with that last post.

Cool thanks MW.

Ok guys, I’m breaking off of that thread of comments. I want to make sure that we catch everything here in case there is another leak we are missing.

Let’s get a recap for clarity here. We have the BP Editor leak and the PIE leak. Neither of these seem to be significant enough to cause a jump from 600MB to ~2.5GB or more.

From reading, I’ve gathered that ErWilly and are the only ones experiencing a major jump like that.

Avolantly and , from what I can tell, yours is the more gradual increase. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Thats right. I’ve seen a major jump once, but that was when I was trying to move a huge terrain in the ocean project.
I should add a jump from .5 to 6 gigs… and that was my 2nd/maybe 4 times I’ve opened that project before. It could be the project too mixed with a little engine leak if is seeing it.

Edit: Just tried my project testing some UMG on the first person template and translating large amounts of objects at once say eveything in the level just once using the translate widget bumped it up from 300 → 760mb in a matter 5-10 seconds and it never settled out. Thats with no opening any BPs or anything just a clean project open and then translate all actors.

I’m getting some massive jumps when I open one or more BP’s at a time and then forgetting to close one when I hit play. I don’t know, it just adds up over time for me and jumps a little high every now and then. One time I was watching and thinking it would be a small jump just went up by 50MB’s. Don’t remember what I did, think I was adding a BP to the scene. Maybe its adjusting certain BP’s that have a major impact on the scene?

But yes these are small increases, under 100mb at least for me

Hey ,

To clarify what I experience, it seems to be a slow trickle as I never see it make a huge jump (although PIE will cause a much larger jump).

I have the “Show FPS & Memory” option turned on in Editor Preferences so it shows up in the title bar. I usually have the UE4 editor open for around 3-4 hours at a time before the memory total reaches 2.5gb or greater, and during that time I will be editing BP’s, play in editor, materials etc.

One thing to note it is not a BP leak, it is any asset window open/close. A material, the static mesh editor, and opening a texture all have the same effect if opened/closed, adding a few extra megabytes.

So to be clear it is not a sudden jump to 2.5, it slowly accumulates over time.

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

, that definitely seems like those 2-5mb increases each time you open an asset could add up over a few hours. I’m going to have to set aside some time to test this as it’s not a soak test that I can just leave alone.

Avolanty and , I’ve got another test that I’ll be running in a bit that overlaps this scenario in the sense that I’ll be opening a lot of assets at once. I’ll keep an eye out during that test for this memory leak.

I’ll keep you all informed of any developments though.

Wanted to say that while in BP mode I was playing around and building some logic for about 2 hours just after a fresh start. And it was at 650MB. I back out to test it and noticed I was at 2GB of ram. Not sure what happened. Maybe adding over time?

Howdy guys,

Sorry for letting this get a little stale. We had some other similar reports and I’m going through and getting Memreports from everybody.

If your memory gets out of control again, let it grow as high as you feel comfortable with. Then bring up the console with ~ and enter memreport -full. Rename the extentions on the .memreport file to .txt in the [ProjectName]/saved/Profiling/MemReports and then attach it here.

Thanks for the patience guys.

Hey, 4.7 here… Pretty annoying, not sure when this started happening because I hadn’t been spending much time in pie for quite a while. Let me know if you need any other info. link text

Whoops, for some reason changing my game mode, which, was completely blank anyways, fixed this. Something in my blank gamemode was sucking up mad RAM but idk why or how because there’s nothing in the blueprint.

Thanks cerdom,

I’m glad you’ve resolved it, but that memreport will help a lot, we hadn’t gotten one yet and I think this will really help out. I will also add the note about the game mode to our bug report.

Hey everybody,

Marking this as answered for tracking purposes unless there is another memreport to send in.

my memreport fresh
link text

Thanks for sending this, I’ve added it to our bug report.