I have this strange bug when building for iOS. Works pretty flawlessly overall, until I include one mesh in particular. It’s an extremely simple capsule mesh that I’m slightly scaling in a blue print which is a visual for our ammo. I have two versions of this ammo mesh. One that’s three planes crossing each other which works great but creates overdraw. Then I have another mesh which is a solid capsule mesh to remove that overdraw cost. For some reason this second mesh is causing the game to crash on my device.
So basically I have two questions - is there any way to profile a game live from a device to see what’s going on and two - are there any known limitations to importing mesh objects when they’re to be used with iOS?
FYI - this is not the only mesh I’ve imported. It’s the only one giving me a problem.
Could you provide me with some screenshots of your mesh, or the triangle/poly/vert count of the mesh you are experiencing issues with?
I am sure you aren’t exceeding the count, but just for your own insight we have some mesh limitations in place for mobile devices. All mesh types can have up to 65k vertices due to the lack of 32 bit index support on mobile hardware.
If you are able to bring up the console command, there are a few console commands you could use to debug things like mesh draw count and simple stats. Try ‘stat unit’ and ‘stat scenerendering’ to get some statistics on your project.
unfortunately the game never gets to that point. I get the splash screen and then it crashes before the level shows up, I imagine when it gets to the point of loading that data.
I did notice something interesting though - I decided to check in my data and do a build of the same data from my Mac to see if it would work. My guess was that Windows Unreal was just not building the asset properly for iOS. Sure enough, the build worked just fine. Curiously enough though, I created a new mesh with the same issue and same fix when built from OSX. Could this be an issue with how my FBX from Maya 2016 is being read in and built in either OS? Or is there a particular setting that needs to be set for iOS usage (that I may have set without knowing it with the other objects I have that worked)?
Try setting your .FBX file version type to 2014 or 2015 as this is the version we use and what we have found to be most compatible. I would say, I know you are working with perforce and alternating between Mac and PC which might be causing issues in itself.
I’m still unsure why that would cause issues though. I’m not syncing the built data, only imported uassets - which I guess could be part of the issue, but shouldn’t that be a bug if it was true? I mean, Unreal is created and sold as multi-platform game dev after all.
It was created and imported on PC. Then I checked it in p4 on that same machine. This results in the build crashing on the device. I checked in to see what would happen when building from the MAC. Synced up the project in p4 and did a build from there that worked just fine. I’m syncing builds at all. I’m building from the platform itself.
So I got the problem again, and after some trial and error it seems that the solution to his has nothing to do with FBX at all and everything to do with the “saved” folder in the project. Something’s going on in there that causes assets to not build properly. It looks like it’s an error with when it builds the nav meshes. Some assets create errors (in my case - cooking errors). When I get the problem now, i delete that folder and everything works again.