3D/2D Artist Model,Animation Prices?

[QUOTE=Rakantor;104116]
I have a question…
How long does a good artist usually works on a new 3D character model with animation and everything?
How long for a 3D model without animation - e.g. a bridge?

It will still depend on the design and the request of the client…

[QUOTE=boysingh]
It will still depend on the design and the request of the client…

Let’s take these random models I found in the web as an example:

425aa703b3bc9a80cd065ca9cd9ce4872c06551d.jpeg (no animation)

(walk and run animation)

a thread in the forum would be great, where indie devs can ask for specific models and artists can post their prices and how long it would take :>
(mby such a thread already exists?)

Interested in where to learn to create 3D Models then, and how long these people work on the characters and models posted above.

[QUOTE=;104205]
Interested in where to learn to create 3D Models then, and how long these people work on the characters and models posted above.

It’s really hard to say, people have different techniques and skills so it all depends on each person but a Character from scratch would take a very long time, I know I spent a couple of weeks on our first one, but I was pretty inexperienced with character modeling before that.

You’ll need to:
Create the base and it’s extremely important that this one is perfect, bad topology results in bad animations so making a good base mesh is extremely hard and takes a lot of time.
Make a higher poly version
Unwrap it, shouldn’t take too long but it takes a while.
Sculpt details in zbrush or similar, this probably takes a handful of hours at least if you want it to look good.
Skin and rig the model, also takes a lot of time and is crucial to get right if you want good animations.
Animate it, also takes a lot of time, especially if you want it to look realistic.
Texture it, and bake all the maps which also takes quite some time.
And then you need to put it together with blueprints in UE which I have never done but I assume it might take a while.
Also you’ll probably want to make even lower poly versions for LOD.

I know it’s very vague but It’s hard to estimate since it all depends on so many different factors, but one thing is always the same, it will take a lot, and I mean A LOT of time, even for simpler characters.
They might look simple but that doesn’t make it a lot easier, you’ll still have to do all these things which won’t be a whole lot quicker just because it’s a lower poly model.

speed modelling.
6 weeks, character + animation

Ok but isn’t it possible to get rigging pre-done, some animations pre-done and then fine tune them? Is there a faster way of animating?

Also in terms of modeling what are things that save hours?

I am writing down lists of things that save hours of work.

If you are making a human, and you know you will make humans, can’t you just take animations/rigging/textures that others have used? And then add your own to fine tune? I just don’t see how that doesn’t save at least 50% of time.

If you want to create a 3D model yourself, you can try to use MakeHuman and import the models (including bones for animation) into blender, there you can edit them.
Thats rly good if you have no creativity at all (like me :>).

~Slei

with MakeHuman (http://www.makehuman.org/) you can create Human 3D models with a few clicks, seems like you can also create simple cloths for the naked models.
In youtube you’ll also find some examples how to import them into blender and edit them/ create animations with the existing bones

Will check out makehuman.

I wonder if there are other softwares that help you “character create”

Also I have a question.

For a game like an MMO where characters should be unique and you should give players customization, how do the companies let characters customize things like eye size etc.

[QUOTE=;104443]
Will check out makehuman.

I wonder if there are other softwares that help you “character create”

Also I have a question.

For a game like an MMO where characters should be unique and you should give players customization, how do the companies let characters customize things like eye size etc.

MMO’s usually use custom engines so I assume it’s just a matter of the engine programmers creating character customization in tandem with the art people.

There used to be a third party character customization software that could be integrated into games, I think it was what Elder Scrolls Oblivion used. Can’t recall the specifics though.

Under the hood I guess it’s just a combination of face and body morphs, several pre-made hair cuts, clothes, eye shapes/colors and so on.

[QUOTE=n00854180t;103910]
In my experience, even artists in places that are otherwise known for low comparatively wages still charge the same industry rates for game art as everywhere else.

The other problem is that you get weird results sometimes - I worked on a game that TurboSquid was making (doing gameplay code) and they were using some international art contractors - a few times we had characters come back with one giant arm, or a leg that was like 2 inches shorter than the other.

Personally, I’ve had completely different results. Guess that’s to be expected, though. As such, I’ll chalk it up to the artists you were working with. I find most to be very competitively priced.

In fact, there’s studios outsourcing the majority of their art to other countries. I recall Spicy Horse, of whom setup shop in Shanghai, China due to it.

Anyhow, as with anything - you’ll have to look around for reliable artists. I also find it best to have an agreement for payment in place, upon specific milestones, so that such problems with the modeling work doesn’t arrive :wink:

Edit: It might be worth taking a look at such sites as Freelancer (or the like), if you’re working on a strict budget.

[FONT=times new roman][FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#000000]**

https://arcadekomodo.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/hierarchemporiumbar.png

Mystique Entity™

*The Mystique Entity™ System is the brand name for the Universal Modular Entity Construction Hierarchical System (UMECHS*) Authoring process. UMECHS is a system of processes that includes:

• Specifications
  • Templates: Rig & Base Mesh
  • Version Control
  • Centralized Repository
  • Application Modules: Entity Customization Interface
  • Licensing
  • Body of Administration
    (HierArch Consortium).

UMECHS* was conceived specifically for authoring Modular Entities with Interchangeable Parts sold to the masses via online marketplaces. Motivations are to mutually benefit Artists and Game Devs:
Provide Game & Producers:

• Mass Customization in which Interchangeable Parts can be mixed and matched to create an endless combination of unique Entities.
  • Modular Entities/Interchangeable parts suitable for in-game prefabrication, player customization, destruction/dismemberment FX.
  • [FONT=times new roman]Scalable Bundling Options with greater granularity. Design the Bundle that fits their Budget.

Provide Modeler & Animators:

• Managed System for authoring and cataloging templates: Core Rigs & Base Meshes.
  • [FONT=times new roman]Distributed Authoring in which the workload is divided [FONT=times new roman][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#000000]between several Artists to minimize production time.[/COLOR]
  • [FONT=times new roman][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#000000]Authoring Scalability is which Artists can produce one, some, or all the parts. Artist can even specialize in authoring specific types of Parts.[/COLOR]
  • [FONT=times new roman]Parts Version Control. Swap out existing or work-in-progress Parts with improved u[FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#000000]pdated versions over a period of time.[/COLOR]
  • [FONT=times new roman][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#000000]Maximize Profit potential by diversifying Assets in Scalable Bundles.[/COLOR]

The UMECHS* Authoring Process is similar to DAZ3D Genesis. It provides a core rig and base body/parts in which a huge range of other 3D Entities can be derived using morph targets, sockets, and material layers. UMECHS applies this methodology to common entity types found in 3D Games:

• Character & Creature Head/Body
  • Vehicles/Crafts
  • Machines
  • Weapons
  • Architecture
  • Structures
  • Furniture
  • Plants
  • Hybrids

UMECHS is a open system in which Artist create new core rigs and base body parts or extend existing ones to evolving hierarchy of styles (ie: Master Rig and Re-targeting Compatibility). There are minimal layers of management for Quality Assurance (inspect and ensure Parts meet the UMECHS* specification and Game/Application compatibility) and Database Entity Base Mesh/Parts in the HierArch Compendium.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=TechLord;104520]
[FONT=times new roman][FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#000000]**

https://arcadekomodo.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/hierarchemporiumbar.png

Mystique Entity™

*The Mystique Entity™ System is the brand name for the Universal Modular Entity Construction Hierarchical System (UMECHS*) Authoring process. UMECHS is a system of processes that includes:

• Specifications
  • Templates: Rig & Base Mesh
  • Version Control
  • Centralized Repository
  • Application Modules: Entity Customization Interface
  • Licensing
  • Body of Administration
    (HierArch Consortium).

UMECHS* was conceived specifically for authoring Modular Entities with Interchangeable Parts sold to the masses via online marketplaces. Motivations are to mutually benefit Artists and Game Devs:
Provide Game & Producers:

• Mass Customization in which Interchangeable Parts can be mixed and matched to create an endless combination of unique Entities.
  • Modular Entities/Interchangeable parts suitable for in-game prefabrication, player customization, destruction/dismemberment FX.
  • [FONT=times new roman]Scalable Bundling Options with greater granularity. Design the Bundle that fits their Budget.

Provide Modeler & Animators:

• Managed System for authoring and cataloging templates: Core Rigs & Base Meshes.
  • [FONT=times new roman]Distributed Authoring in which the workload is divided [FONT=times new roman][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#000000]between several Artists to minimize production time.[/COLOR]
  • [FONT=times new roman][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#000000]Authoring Scalability is which Artists can produce one, some, or all the parts. Artist can even specialize in authoring specific types of Parts.[/COLOR]
  • [FONT=times new roman]Parts Version Control. Swap out existing or work-in-progress Parts with improved u[FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#000000]pdated versions over a period of time.[/COLOR]
  • [FONT=times new roman][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#000000]Maximize Profit potential by diversifying Assets in Scalable Bundles.[/COLOR]

The UMECHS* Authoring Process is similar to DAZ3D Genesis. It provides a core rig and base body/parts in which a huge range of other 3D Entities can be derived using morph targets, sockets, and material layers. UMECHS applies this methodology to common entity types found in 3D Games:

• Character & Creature Head/Body
  • Vehicles/Crafts
  • Machines
  • Weapons
  • Architecture
  • Structures
  • Furniture
  • Plants
  • Hybrids

UMECHS is a open system in which Artist create new core rigs and base body parts or extend existing ones to evolving hierarchy of styles (ie: Master Rig and Re-targeting Compatibility). There are minimal layers of management for Quality Assurance (inspect and ensure Parts meet the UMECHS* specification and Game/Application compatibility) and Database Entity Base Mesh/Parts in the HierArch Compendium.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shut up and take my money!

Also please do not go the licensing route that DaZ Studio did with their 500.00 USD “indie license”.

Any you will have my money :slight_smile:

@TechLord

Create a separate post for it under the plugin section or Work in progress!

This is something that I and many others want!

I hate Daz3d’s Licensing for games and soon 3D printing… So I am glad that there will be competition in their area of the market. :slight_smile:

Just curious will this be unreal engine only or will it be available for other engines (Cryengine/Unity) as well?

No reason to limit yourself. :slight_smile:

EDIT: If you do post - Expect me to cheer you on to the finish line!

[QUOTE=HeadClot;104546]
@TechLord

Create a separate post for it under the plugin section or Work in progress!

This is something that I and many others want!

I hate Daz3d’s Licensing for games and soon 3D printing… So I am glad that there will be competition in their area of the market. :slight_smile:

Just curious will this be unreal engine only or will it be available for other engines (Cryengine/Unity) as well?

No reason to limit yourself. :slight_smile:

The initial focus is on UE4 with long-term goals to support other Game Development Systems. The HighArch Emporium will be powered by UE4, but, assets purchased will be distributed in the format applicable to selected dev platform. I participate in several Game Dev communities: TheGameCreator.com, BlitzBasic.com, 3dgamestudio.com, UDK.com, UE4.com, Unity3D.com, Ogre3D.com, GarageGames.com. Thus I’m very aware of the 100,000’s of other amateur game dev, hobbyist, gamers-turned-gamedev who would be interested in the Mystique Entity System.

I’m not ready to post a work in progress thread at the moment as I’m gearing up for a Artist Recruitment campaign. The timing is contingent on the demand for the MMO Plug-in which will get first priority.

Hey Techlord,

Sent you a PM about an artist that might be looking for work.

So check your PM’s :slight_smile:

Edit: Sent you another PM.

• HeadClot