4.17 Blueprint Still Dirty After Compiling

No mater how many times i compile my pawn it remains dirty, it does save after the compile so it is processing, also when clicking play loads of my blueprints compile when they shouldn’t have to delaying my project from starting, this happen every time making me wait 40+ seconds each time i click play, this issue wasn’t there with 4.16.3.

Hello ,

I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any settings/blueprints that may be involved with this issue?

Ill see if i can recreate the issue and unplug the project.

As the title states its blueprint compiling not C++ project compiling, so that is not related.

this is happening with me too.

Also my blueprint compile time has gone from milliseconds to minutes?

These seem to be the culprits:

• Construct Replacements (11)[231,569 ms]
    • Find Referencers (348)[231,138 ms]

Just to make sure, have you updated your VS2015 to version 3? After the 4.17 update, this became required. If you haven’t updated, you will no longer be able to compile, even on empty projects.

I’m surprised epic didn’t present this a little bit better lol.

Hope this helped!

Ah fair point, I’ve just been seeing something similar a lot recently, my bad lol.

Hello ,

I wanted to check in. Have you been able to reproduce this issue in a clean project?

I’m having the same issue. Started happening after updating from 4.15 to 4.17.

If I make a change to my AI controller, or Character blueprint and then run the game, it takes forever to load. After exiting the game, a bunch of blueprints are suddenly unsaved.

The time it takes to run the game in the editor seems to be the same time that it takes to use the “Save All” option in the File menu of the editor (after having run the game and previously saved files get flagged as unsaved). So as far as I can tell, a bunch of files get flagged as unsaved when I compile and need to be saved before running the game.

If I exit the editor, it lists a bunch of files and asks if I want to save them before closing. If I choose to save them and then start the editor up again, the game will start quickly. But if I compile a blueprint after that, it goes back to the old behavior again.

Yeah i got the issue when compiling my character blueprint before running the game, if you don’t open your character blueprint the issue wont be triggered, making me think it something in character blueprint maybe a reference to something UMG maybe? i ended up going back to 4.16 for now until i get time to strip down my character BP.

Are you using Blueprint Interface to communicate between blueprints?

I put a filter on the Content browser tab so that it would only show my blueprints. I can then open a blueprint, compile it, and then see which other blueprints are updated (an asterisk appears on their icons).

I’ve just played around with it a little bit, but it seems like whenever you compile a blueprint, then all other blueprints of the same class that are using the same blueprint interface will need to recompile.

Is that the same on your end?

Yeah that does seem to be the case, even know my character blueprint isn’t using the interface the player controller is in my case, all blueprints with calls to this interface are flagged as needing to be recompile/re-saved.

Yeah, the compile time has increased significantly.

Where does it say “Construct replacements” and “Find Referencers”? In the log window in the blueprint editor? On my end it just says “Compiled in X amount of time” and no mention of anything else.

Okay, so I think I’ve figured out what’s going on here.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open blank project in 4.17
  2. Create two actor blueprints - MyBlueprintA and MyBlueprintB. They don’t have to contain anything.
  3. Create a Blueprint interface called MyBlueprintInterface.
  4. Add a function to the blueprint interface. Add two variables in the Input section. Set the first variable to be a MyBlueprintA reference and the second one to be a MyBlueprintB reference. Compile and save.
  5. Open up the two actors and go into the Class Settings.
  6. Add MyBlueprintInterface to the Implemented Interfaces on each actor.
  7. Hit compile and save on MyBlueprintB.
  8. Hit compile and save on MyBlueprintA and notice how MyBlueprintB becomes dirty and needs to recompile.
  9. Open MyBlueprintB, compile and notice how MyBlueprintA becomes dirty and needs to recompile.

With a setup like this, you can never compile all your blueprints.

I was able to reproduce this without adding the interface to both actors ill upload this debug project for epic, From what i can tell its only happens if the interface has a reference to an actor which also has that interface added, but there must be another way to trigger this issue as i don’t think that’s the case with my project, lets just hope there related.

Hi Rudy, i was able to reproduce this issue in a test project here Sync.com | Control Panel , all you need to do to see this issue is to open up ether Actor_BP or HUD or both and compile it and save then close there blueprints, then open up the Controller_BP and compile this, you will see how compiling the Controller marks the Actor_BP/ HUD bps as dirty, this behavior seems to be triggered by adding a reference to the interface of the same blueprint which has the same interface added to its implemented interfaces, In my case i had a reference to the pawn in a interface but even know the pawn didn’t have the interface its player controller did.

Hello ,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will follow up.

Thanks,

Hello ,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will follow up.

Thanks,

Hello ,

I was able to reproduce this issue on our end. I have written up a report and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I have provided a link to the public tracker. Please feel free to use the link provided for future updates.

Link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-49009)

Make it a great day

Thanks Rudy.