4.15.1 Blueprint memory leaks

Hi,

While editing blueprints, memory usage goes up, makes editor no response for several 10s of seconds.
More exactly, just viewing blueprints also triggers this.

My environment is
UE: 4.15.1
RAM: 16GB

Memory usage goes up when

• Zoom in/out or Scroll in blueprint editor (== some node get visible in blueprint editor window)
  • Mouse over some node and show tool tip
  • Compile a blueprint
  • Play / Stop in editor
  • Open output log window (depends on logs, but I experienced 5GB up)
  • Open editor settings (around 300MB up)
  • Scroll in editor settings

When Construction Script is connected to any function, these symptoms get strong, I feel.
Construction Script is called many times, so memory goes up easily.

If the same function connected to is Construction Script is unlinked from Construction Script and connected to BeginPlay event,

• Objs count up slightly, no memory changes when compiling a blueprint
  • Mem goes up slightly (about 0.02MB or so) when simulate (This is enough for many cases)
  • Mem goes up when play (around 100MB)

Process of UE and swarm does not stop (keep showing up in task manager) after exited UE and launcher, so need to kill UE process manually to free memory. (If not, memory and page files usage are kept for several minutes.)

Screen shots

1.memory usage when opening editor

136226-ue_mem_start.png

2.compiled a blueprint once

136227-ue_mem_compile_1.png

3.compiled a blueprint again

136228-ue_mem_compile_2.png

4.play

136229-ue_mem_play_after_compile_2.png

5.after several operations (edit a blueprint, compile and play)
Eats up memory and page files. (Total over 30GB)
Opening output log is extremely heavy. (Takes few minutes as pagefile thrashing occurs)

136230-ue_mem_end.png

Similar posts:
4.7.3 Blueprint memory leaks
Unreal engine Mass Ram usage

Thanks

What are you doing in the construction script?

I was having a similar issue a month or so ago and I thought it was UE4. Any chance you’re using a Killer network adapter? They have issues with memory leaks, but can be fixed in the registry. Memory leak in Windows 8.1 with Killer E2200 and Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring | Blue Blue Wave

Hello Dev.TMG,

I ran through the steps provided above. I did not see any significant jumps in memory usage. Some to the jumps I saw were temporary spikes but even those were not as high as the leak that you have reported. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?

Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
I made a new project with first person template, add a new actor blueprint (just created. opened bp editor but no edits) and tested again and it reproduced.
Editor ui component also seems to trigger part of these. (as just mouse over, selecting a component, show tool tip, scroll in detail tab etc also cause memory usage up. Some of them seems to be cleaned but total memory usage goes up.)

Environment:
Ram: 16GB
UE: 4.15.2
UE Language setting: Step 1-19: Japanese, Step 20-22: English

BTW, attachment file link seems something wrong.

137565-merged_3.png

After looking over the information provided and doing some digging I was able to find that this is a known issue. I noticed that in the examples provided the memory usually jumps when using PIE (play in editor). I have provided a link to the public tracker. Please feel free to use the link provided for future updates.

Link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-23795)

Make it a great day