Maps/Dictionaries crash editor

Hello,

I think I have found a critical bug happening with Maps/Dictionaries in BP. This made my project crash and does not open anymore.

I’m working on a VR project and the problem happened as follow:

On my main PlayerPaw I have created a Map called;

isHandFinishedGesture{EControlerHand,bool}

If the default value for this Map is null, then there is no problem. However, if I set default values for it as:

isHandFinishedGesture{EControlerHand::Left,false}

isHandFinishedGesture{EControlerHand::Right,false}

It makes the whole project to crash when you try to start over.

My guess is that when ue is starting it’s trying to set the default values of this Map before having a reference to the Enumerator EControllerHand

132315-bugreportmapcrash.png

alt text

Hello junqfisica,

I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any other settings/blueprints that may be involved with this issue?

Hello ,

1 - Yes I reproduce it using the VR template

2 - Open the VR template, then on the blueprint MotionControllerPawn create a variable EControllerHand as Map with value Boolean.

Give a default value using any key, i.e TMap MyMap = TMap{EControllerHand, bool} MyMap = TMap{EControllerHand::Left, false}();

Compile, save and close the project.

Result: When you open it again, in this case, it will not crash because MotionControllerPawn is not being used on the default Map (StartupMap). However, as soon as you try to load the Map Locomotion or open the MotionControllerPawn blueprint the engine will crash.

3 - The screen shots are the same that on my previous message.

Thanks!!

With the additional information provided I was able to find that this is a known issue and that it has been submitted to the developers for further consideration. I have provided a link to the public tracker. Please feel free to use the link provided for future updates.

Link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-42441)

Make it a great day