Shipping build crashes if user has special characters in username

On a clean project

1. Create a new windows user name with this character for example: `´ä.
  2. Package a shipping build
  3. Game should crash right away

The crash happens at Scalability.cpp under the function GetRenderScaleLevelFromQualityLevel. Something related to know being able to read from the config.

On the same machine, creating another windows account with a regular username fixes the crash.

Issue was reported on Windows 8.

Hello ,

After doing some digging I found a report that I believe shares the same root cause. I have provided a link to the public tracker. Please feel free to use the link provided for future updates. Thank you for your time and information.

Link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-16390)

Make it a great day

I dont think this is it, sorry for not elaborating, This was reported by an end user on a shipping build downloaded from steam

Have you been able to reproduce this issue on your end? If so, could you provide your complete callstack (including login ID)?

Yes link text hope this helps

I can confirm that on 4.15.0 this issue is still present. The game crash when try to load the ini values to fill the arrays like scalability and GEngineIni.
You can repro the issue using a windows user with the character mentioned by on a game that use qualitylevel settings. The ResolutionValueStrings array is empty, because it fail to locate the ini and the array result empty.

And here another fails to load the GEngineIni so the iterator PackageRedirects is null and crash

Do you have any suggestion on how to fix it? there’s a commit we can port into our 4.15.0 version of the engine?
Thanks