Issues FPS with new PC

Im having a serious problem

I recently bought a new laptop. ASUS ROG G752VM, i7-6700HQ 2.60GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Geforce 1060 6 GB.
this should be good enough to run Unreal Engine and the Unreal Tournament Editor at decent FPS.
However, the FPS frequently drop to 10-20 FPS. Especially when in the Material Editor and the Mesh Editor…

What could be the biggest problem causing my framerate to drop?

Should I upgrade certain parts of my laptop, are there certain settings I could adjust?

I hope somebody could help me with this big issue!

Kind regards

Simon

Hello Zero1s,

There is currently a bug report in for there being a large performance drop when you have multiple editor windows open on multiple monitors. Could this be related to your framerate problems? You can find that report here: UE-37659. There’s also been another issue related to the Content Browser where the Real-Time Thumbnails are causing framerate loss in certain situations. You can find that one here, and it also has a workaround: UE-41434.

Please let me know if neither of these seem to be related.

Hey Matthew

I just opened the start map to test the FPS.
When I am hovering through the level the FPS is about 60 and ingame it is a steady 60.

As soon as I open the material editor or the model editor the FPS drop to 8-24.
As seen in the pictures.

I read a thread that the Unreal Engines 4.12-4.14 have issues with the Geforce GTX 1060 GPU however.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/forums/showthread.php?25610-Bad-FPS-since-update-to-Unreal-Engine-4-14-(Build-2016-10-18)

alt text

This isn’t exactly related to the 1060 itself, but it is likely more apparent the lower spec the card is that you’re using. I’m able to see this issue locally, but less severely, on a 980. Due to the Material Editor and Blueprint Editors using the same method of rendering to create their windows, I believe this would be related to the bug report I mentioned before, UE-37659. I’m going to continue looking into this though, as this seems more severe than the original report lets on.