Collision generation options do nothing and sometimes crash the editor

Collision generation options do nothing and sometimes crash the editor.

I started realizing autogeneration collision does nothing on any of my recently imported models after i hit apply or whatever. After further investigation add “10DOP-” options do nothing as well…

I then noticed box simplified collison works fine… BUT if i do box collison then immediately do the “10DOP-” option… it literally crashes the editor.

Bad stuff here… i need collisions and id rather not import collisions manually.

Collisions are enabled in the mesh lod section… and its also set to project default. Should work… but isnt. I try adding and removing box collision to see if it adds after… still nothing… Please help!

Hey Kurylo,

What is the meshes collision complexity set to? If it’s set to anything other than Project Default this seems to be expected behavior. Other options will disable the collision mesh and use per-poly or simple collision for traces.

If you have an example that is reproducible with crashing let me know and I can try but it’s hard to produce edge cases if it’s your own mesh that it happens with but not with others. The logs and call stack would be useful, as well. If it’s only happening with your mesh, can you provide a test asset? That would make it easier to get the crash and report more quickly if it’s not already.

Thanks!

Tim

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the response. It is set to Project Default and i have tried every setting pretty much. It doesnt seem to do this with one mesh. It seems to do this with every mesh import currently. Some sort of import setting or export setting i should be looking into? Its not an isolated incident.

That being said… meshes I have exported/imported in previously(different engine version) work fine… I can autogenerate… switch collisions no problem.

I suppose ican test those fbx files for those models to see if they are still good with fresh imports into different directories… when i get time…

How would I get a log or whatever… If your talking about the crash log… sometimes unreal asks me to send it… sometimes the editor just crashes without any log or option to send it at all…

If the editor is crashing without a crash window then that is Windows causing the app to crash. You can see how to retrieve that log here: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

If you get the crash reporter window, then go to your project folder > Saved > Logs and it will be there.

If the issue isn’t consistent with a new project or with all meshes I think there is the likelihood that I’d not be able to reproduce without a test asset that is consistent. There are just too many variables that come into play. This is why we typically ask if it’s occurring in a new project as well. I know it can be a pain, but that at least tells us if it’s something we’ll likely be able to reproduce with some ease. It also tells us where it was possibly a project setting that was inadvertently set too. You can check the Project Settings > Physics > Collision and see if the Default Shape Complexity is set to “Simple and Complex”, which is the default.

Ok here is the windows error log as well as an fbx file from one of the imported assets causing the problem.

http://mindped.com/error/

Apologies i forgot to upload the fbx… i uploaded the uasset for some reason. I will upload that in a second.

update Ok uploaded the fbx file as well now… sorry i forgot that.

Thanks for the mesh! I was able to get it with that. I’ve got it reported here so hopefully we can get that crash taken care of. Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-41220)

THanks, On the bug could you also list that trying to generate a convex collision mesh doesnt work for that fbx file for some reason. Not sure if its related or a 2nd bug happening at the same time, but simply nothing happens when u click auto convex.

The crash has been fixed and will be included with 4.15 once that releases.

The second issue where collision is not auto-generated or cannot be with the Convex Decomposition window is a separate issue that I’ve now logged here: