Bug: Problem when dragging left mouse button in orthographic viewports in OS X

When I drag the left mouse button down in orthographic viewports (to select a mesh for example) it leads to incorrect mouse positions.

The mouse cursor goes too far. It seems that the mouse moves by itself, twice as fast as required.

It’s hard to explain but maybe you noticed it, or you will understand by trying.

Hi Arthur Masson,

I was unable to reproduce the issue by opening a blank Blueprint Level with Starter Content and selecting the chairs table and statue one at time, all at once, etc. If this is not an accurate test, please provide more detailed steps to follow so that we can reproduce the issue on our end.

Also, please provide your dxdiag if you are on a PC or your system specs if you are on a Mac in order for us to test on a machine that matches your system as close as possible.

Thanks,

Mac:

Mac OS 10.12.2

Nom du modèle : MacBook Pro
Identifiant du modèle : MacBookPro11,3
Nom du processeur : Intel Core i7
Vitesse du processeur : 2,3 GHz
Nombre de processeurs : 1
Nombre total de cœurs : 4
Cache de niveau 2 (par cœur) : 256 Ko
Cache de niveau 3 : 6 Mo
Mémoire : 16 Go

Unreal Editor: Version: 4.14.2-3241561+++UE4+Release-4.14

This happens more often (but not only, it also occurs with all plugins uninstalled) when I have some plugins activated which might have an impact on the frame rate… Maybe this issue is related to this one.

You can see the behaviour of my cursor before I click (normal behaviour) and after (when I start dragging the cursor goes wild, whereas I still do the same kind of motion with my mouse)

121108-ue-mouse-bug.gif

I made another test which is more replicable:

• I removed all plugins
  • I started a blank C++ project with the starter content
  • I selected the left chair and duplicated it 25 times (to lower the frame rate)
  • now the cursor behaves incorrectly when I drag:

121132-ue-mouse-bug-2.gif

Thanks for the animated illustration of this issue as well as the clear and precise repro steps and system specs. I am currently testing this on the exact same system, Engine Version, OS etc. and am still not able to reproduce the issue following your steps.

Are you using a third party mouse, smart mouse, the touch pad, etc.?

Do you have any third party peripherals plugged in?

Have you tried restarting your system, to see if this is just a temporary glitch?

Please post a screen shot of your mouse settings?

What plugins do you have enabled when this is occurring?

Any extra information you can provide is appreciated.

I tried again without duplicating the chair, I got the same issue.

Are you using a third party mouse, smart mouse, the touch pad, etc.?

No, just a regular mouse (which works fine). I also tried with my trackpad and got the same issue.

Do you have any third party peripherals plugged in?

No.

Have you tried restarting your system, to see if this is just a temporary glitch?

Yes. It’s not temporary.

Please post a screen shot of your mouse settings?

This won’t help, it does not come from the mouse ; it’s from the editor, and only when dragging with the ALT + COMMAND keys down. This does not occur when dragging left mouse button only (the camera rotates/moves correctly).

Note: when I initiate a left mouse drag (to move the camera) and then I press ALT + COMMAND keys, the camera also moves correctly, the issue doesn’t occur in that case. Same thing if I drag the gizmo, it works fine even if I have the ALT + COMMAND keys pressed.

It only occurs with the selection rectangle drag.

What plugins do you have enabled when this is occurring?

I only have the default plugins enabled.

enter code here(I have to post this as an answer since Answer Hub does not allow enough characters in comments. You should really consider using another Q&A site.)

Here is the list of enabled modules (when running the ‘module list’ console command, in the output log):

Cmd: module list
Listing all 222 known modules:
    ActorPickerMode [File: /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.14/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/UE4Editor-ActorPickerMode.dylib] [Loaded: Yes]
    AddContentDialog [File: /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.14/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/UE4Editor-AddContentDialog.dylib] [Loaded: Yes]
    AIModule [File: /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.14/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/UE4Editor-AIModule.dylib] [Loaded: Yes]
    AITestSuite [File: /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.14/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/UE4Editor-AITestSuite.dylib] [Loaded: Yes]
   acOS/UE4Editor-XMPP.dylib] [Loaded: Yes]

Hi Arthur Masson,

Thank you for bringing this bug to our attention and providing all requested information. I was ultimately able to reproduce the issue and have logged it as UE-40447 which you can track on the following link: Unreal Engine Issues. Please be aware that since the issue must be reviewed and prioritized by our development staff, it may be a while before it can be addressed.

I noticed this issue isn’t resolved yet. Just to add to this, I get similar issues after having upgraded my mouse to a high DPI gaming mouse from Razer.

5.3 And still same bug on mac. Its really frustrating…