I changed values in blueprint editor but it doesn't work for blueprints in the scene

Hi there, I’m quite new so maybe I did something wrong. But I was following this tutorial online and so far everything was ok. The problem occurred when I changed CapsuleComponent Shape size in the BluePrint Editor, as it did not resize it. Please take a look at the screenshot here:

I went through the AnswerHub and saw a guy with a similar issue and was reported with the ref. UE-6060, but it was in 2014.

Anyway please Advise :slight_smile:

Thank you very much ^^

Hello Moses,

This actually isn’t an issue with the engine, this functionality allows you to have separate instances of the same blueprint have different settings in your scene.

If you want the settings in the blueprint editor to propagate down to the blueprints in your scene you need to reset the values to default by clicking the small yellow arrow next to the value in the details panel.

Once the values are set back to “default” the changes you make to the blueprint in the editor should now reflect on the BP placed in the scene.

let me know if that helps,

Ed

Howdy Ed :smiley:

a bunch for explaining this to me! I will try it now!!

So Does that mean I should not use the Detail Panel to adjust anything at all cos it’s a separate instance?? I really thought the Detail panel was just like a quick menu to modify things selected in the Viewport suggested in:

"…displays all of the editable properties for the selected Actors, and provides quick access to additional editing functionality depending on the types of Actors selected in the viewport. "

As they show up the same properties for the things selected as in the editors.

do you know where I can find some documentation to this topic if it’s not too much to ask… :)) ? I’m very new and would like to know the use of this function (separate instances of the same BP…etc) :D:D

THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND HAPPY HOLIDAY!

It is perfectly fine to edit these settings in the details panel. All I mean to say is that when you create a BP and open it in the BP editor those are considered “default” settings.

When you drag the BP into the scene and change the settings using the details panel those settings are unique to that specific BP. It would be very annoying if you changed your default BP settings and that automatically changed all the settings for that BP in the scene. Here is an example:

Let’s say that I have a watch tower BP and I have 5 of them in my map. They have a default value of 0 meters view range because I haven’t set a value to it yet. I decided that 2 of them should have 100 meter view range and the other 3 should have 50 meter view range. I set this in the details panel for each Tower in the map.

I then go into the BP editor and decided to change the default value from 0 meters to 75 meters. If that messed up all of my towers in my map and set them all to 75 meters then that would be a problem.

What actually happens is the engine keeps track if you edited these individual towers and only updates the ones that still have the default value to the new default value. For example if I still had a tower that was at 0 meters it would now be at 75 meters view range.

As far as the terminology it would be more accurate to refer to them as individual actors.

I would recommend the getting started Guides for beginners. You will find a lot of links to documentation on quick start guides here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/GettingStarted/index.html

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help Ed.

I understand completely now!!

And thank you very very much for the link !! I will go through it :):slight_smile:

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :smiley: