Importing Apex Cloth not working as expected 4.14

In 3ds max everything works as expected. But when saving the file and exporting the character, In the engine the apex just collapses into itself.

Just insured all of my transforms were reset properly before rigging. Verified that the FBX is 2014/2015. Verified the skeleton hierarchy. Tested using the APX and APB format

Uploaded Max file:

2016 Max

2013 Max

The issue is also happening in a fresh project in 4.13 and 4.14

In 4.14

Is this a known issue?

Hi Shoiko,

I haven’t seen behavior like that so it is worth investigating. In the meantime could you make sure that your material that is applied to the apex cloth has “used with clothing” Checked. I’ll attach a screenshot showing where this setting is located.

[UPDATE]

Upon opening your asset I saw an error stating that you have some verts weighted to more than 4 bones physX only supports 4. I confirmed this by looking at the weight tables (I only saw one vert on your clothing that was weighted to 5 bones though most were 4). To fix this you need to change the “bone affect limit” to 4 (see screenshot) and that would ensure that you don’t exceed this limit.

I will try that right now.

Same results as before. Is there anything I need to enable to be compatible with the new clothing things in 4.14?

This may be an issue I will update you with the results of my investigation.

Understood thank you sir.

It appears to be an issue with 14.4.

I’ve been seeing the same problem. It seems that the Apex cloth pivot point is coming in with opposite orientation to the mesh/bone.

I’ve been able to get around the 4.14 problem by re-importing only the bone/mesh FBX after rotating the bone 180 degrees but do not reimport the cloth data APX.

not sure how to implement your solution. what bone are you rotating the root on the imported mesh? In my case its a dress that is parented to a master skeleton so i’m not sure how that would work.

Same exact problem aswell, but it works fine in a fresh 4.13.2 project. It explode everywhere in 4.14.

Does this have a ticket number so i can follow it? In release notes?

Here is a video comparison of 4.13.2 versus 4.14.2

[UPDATE] this issue has been reported: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-40007)

As stated in the public notes “There is a back-compat issue with the new PhysX 3.4 upgrade in 4.14. All of the bone bind poses and bone actor transforms have their upper 3x3 (the orientation components) transposed in their transform matrices which causes a rotation issue. The solution for this is to use the ClothingTool or DCC plugins that match this version (the 3.4 versions) as they will not exhibit this problem. The updated ClothingTool and DCC plugins should now be available from Nvidia.”

According to this user using the latest version of the physX plugin should solve the issue.

Let me know if that helps!

Ed