Foliage tool icons get messed up

I have a Project with multiple levels. When I’m working in the top level, that is not loading one level at a time, my foliage tool window contains a lot of icons from all the sublevels.
When the number of icons in that tool window exceeds a certain number (maybe 20 or 30 not sure exactly) icons show a random image from another foliage object, but not from the mesh that is represented by that foliage image.
It’s like the engine picks one static mesh icon and uses that for all foliage icons that exceed a certain number.

Hey Wallenstein,

Thanks for the clear and precise repro steps. I was able to confirm what you are reporting and have gone ahead and entered a bug report for the issue. You can track the report following the link below on our public issues tracker.

I did modify your steps as I was able to reproduce the issue without having multiple levels. It just requires a large number of static meshes and either switching out of the foliage mode tab and then back, or simply painting one of the meshes.

UE-39380

Once the issue has been addressed by our engineers the ticket will be updated and reflected in the public tracker. Let me know if you have further questions or need additional assistance.

Cheers,

I can confirm this issue, present in 14.4.3. Example screenshot
Additional, instance amount is not displayed.

This has been marked to be fixed for 4.16 which you can see by clicking on the bug number link in my answer below.